Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portrait of an Austro-Hungarian officer

Greetings from France to everyone.

I have this charcoal and watercolour portrait on paper, by Robert Streit (1885-1957), of an officer, dated and inscribed "Im Felde 1917".

Since I am far from being a "connaisseur" with the subjet of the Austrian Hungarian army, I like to have the confirmation about the facts that :
    - this man was an Oberstleutnant

- the medal is a Militärverdienstkreuz with sword

- and last but not least, can the regiment be identifiable by the cap badge

Many thanks to anyone who can give me an answer or a clue. And I hope you will enjoy the artwork.

Regards.
    And sorry for my english.

IMHO the officer (right, an Oberstleutnant), was a Hussar.
    The button on the single shoulder strap is typical. The regiment could be the HR11, as the second badge (not the flag, the other one!) looks similar to the regimental Kappenabzeichen.
    The color of the button (white) and the collar (dark blue, like the color of the atilla) also match to that unit.

Comment

The HR11 badge, in 3 variations...
      Attached Files

Comment

Greetings.

Thank you very much for that precise answer.

Regards.

F.

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

A research in the Austrian Rang-Liste of 1918 could be of help into identifying this Oberstleutnant...

I will be back home during the next week and if then no result could have been found, I will search in the book.

E.L.

Comment

It's a beautiful piece of artwork. It looks like the regimental flag cap badge has the number "72".

Comment

The flag wouldn't match the theory of a hussar, as these badges were made for the infantry regiments.
                On the other hand, the Kappenabzeichen were unofficial badges and could be bought and worn by everyone (of course if local commands did not forbid this, as sometime happened).
                It's also possible that the officer was temporary attached to that unit for a certain period of time, or that he received the badge as present from a comrade or a friend.

Comment

Thank you again for all your comments and answers.

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                  A research in the Austrian Rang-Liste of 1918 could be of help into identifying this Oberstleutnant...
                  Do you know where I can find those kind of list ?

Regards.

Comment

I am bringing this back up to put forward a theory that the Officer depicted in the coloured drawing is: Oberstleutnant Desiderius Turnovsky of Hussar Regiment No 11.

The 1917 k.u.k Rangiliste shows that of the three Oberstleutnants in Hussar Regiment 11 only Desiderius Turnovsky matches.

The other two Oberstleutnant are;
                    Stephan Szmrecsanyi von Szmrecsan (EKO-R3, no MVK)
                    Eugen Kriszt (MVK 3 KD & MVK 3)
                    Desiderius Turnovsky remained with Hussar Regiment No.11 in 1918, but now also holds the EKO-3. There are now five Oberstleutnants in the regiment, bu none really match the photo.
                    Regards,

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      I am bringing this back up to put forward a theory that the Officer depicted in the coloured drawing is: Oberstleutnant Desiderius Turnovsky of Hussar Regiment No 11.

The 1917 k.u.k Rangiliste shows that of the three Oberstleutnants in Hussar Regiment 11 only Desiderius Turnovsky matches.

The other two Oberstleutnant are;
                      Stephan Szmrecsanyi von Szmrecsan (EKO-R3, no MVK)
                      Eugen Kriszt (MVK 3 KD & MVK 3)
                      Desiderius Turnovsky remained with Hussar Regiment No.11 in 1918, but now also holds the EKO-3. There are now five Oberstleutnants in the regiment, bu none really match the photo.
                      Regards,
                      sorry for the late answer.
                      Thank you very much for your search.

Is there more "precisions" or details that can be found somewhere about that man ?

Regards.

Comment

Arlo,
                        Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate any additional information.
                        Regards,
                        Ian

Comment

Hello,

thank you for your answer.
                          Last but not least, Desiderius Turnovsky is a name from which part of the Empire ?
                          Bulgarian origin ? Seeing that he was maybe a member of Husaren-Regiment „Ferdinand I. König der Bulgaren“ Nr. 11, or it is just "patronage" ?

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Alro View Post
                            Hello,

thank you for your answer.
                            Last but not least, Desiderius Turnovsky is a name from which part of the Empire ?
                            Bulgarian origin ? Seeing that he was maybe a member of Husaren-Regiment „Ferdinand I. König der Bulgaren“ Nr. 11, or it is just "patronage" ?

Regards.
                            Not Bulgarian that would make him a foreigner. Turnovsky is probably from the Boehmen und Maehren part of the AH-Empire.

Comment

Hello,

a further info, concerning the author.

Looking at his signature, I can say that the painter was Robert Streit (Gränzendorf b. Reichberg, Bohemia, Dec. 9th, 1885 - Vienna, Febr. 26th, 1957), he had a good fame as portrait and landscape paintings; between 1924 and 1945, was member of the Künstlerhaus; in 1949 he was granted the title of Professor. Here: http://www.viennatouristguide.at/Fri...9_1_streit.htm the link to the picture of his tomb at the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna.

E.L:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,723 at 02:34 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X