Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 ek1 'ko'

Hi guys,

I won this salty old, 'KO' marked 1914 EK1 in a recent auction. The cross is slightly vaulted and heavily patinated. The cross measures 43.09mm square and it weighs 16.7 grams. I think it measures slightly smaller than the usual 'KO' because of the vault.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 11-29-2015, 09:12 AM.
    Mihi libertas necessest!

I went and put a few drops of oil around the '1914' date and scrubbed it lightly with a toothbrush. It easily removed the white substance that was caked around the date. I think it looks better now.

"before" on left and "after" on right:
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

hinge, catch & maker marking:
      Attached Files
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I like how it is worn, mint is nice but worn crosses are the nicest!

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
          I like how it is worn, mint is nice but worn crosses are the nicest!
          Thank you, Dansson. I like pieces that saw the action too.

Best regards,
          Tom
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Nice KO. This type was my first complete ek1 I ever bought. Still got it and got a nice case for it.

Comment

The white residue in my mind is the remains of some silver polish like Silvo or Brasso had been used at one time to polish the silver frame and was never brushed with a tooth brush after the polish was removed only with a cloth. I'm assuming the core of this cross is a stamped steel core and the vaulting was done by the recipient

Comment

Nice KO...not in perfect conditions, but has got a lot of character

Stefano

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks for the additional comments, Michel, pzrwest, and Stefano.

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
                    The white residue in my mind is the remains of some silver polish like Silvo or Brasso had been used at one time to polish the silver frame and was never brushed with a tooth brush after the polish was removed only with a cloth. I'm assuming the core of this cross is a stamped steel core and the vaulting was done by the recipient
                    Hello,

I think you are right about the silver polish residue. And it looks like there is still some residue in the maker marking. The polishing must have been done quite a while ago from looking at how the tarnish has developed since.

Yes! The core is stamped iron and magnetic. As far as the vaulting goes, I am not sure. I know that these KOs were usually flat, except for the occasional screwback types. But this one looks like it was done uniformly and very neatly. There is no lifting of the beaded frame at the center and no visible tool marks. If it was done by the recipient, he did a meticulous job of it. Possibly a factory or jeweler modification?

Best regards,
                    Tom
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,

I had 3 KO's all flat. I don't think that there where any KO screw back types.
                      I would say hand vaulting by the owner.

But can you post a side pic, so we can see the vaulting?

Thanks,
                      Michel

Comment

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
                        Hi Tom,

I had 3 KO's all flat. I don't think that there where any KO screw back types.
                        I would say hand vaulting by the owner.

Thanks,
                        Michel
                        Hi Michel,

An example of a 'KO' marked, vaulted screwback EK1 can be seen here:
                        Perhaps jeweler modified to screwback configuration?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=1914+EK1+KO

I will try and take some pictures showing the vault.

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,

thanks for the link. That is a later modification at best IMO. The pics unfortunately don't show the back without discs.

Kind regards,
                          Michel

Comment

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
                            Hi Michel,

Okay! I took some pictures that I hope will show the vault. They did not come out that great and my camera batteries died before I could get some better images. Hopefully these will suffice. If not, then I will try again later.

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Attached Files
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

If this cross was vaulted haphazardly, I would expect these inner, beaded-rim corners to pop upwards, away from the core. As it is, the rims at these corners are still down against the core where even a thin piece of paper won't slip under.
                              Attached Files
                              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X