Clear All

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
    Hi Greg,
    Nice pic, even for artificial light standards

I like the pic. What camera is it?

Kind regards,
    Michel
    Thanks Michel,
    This was my first attempt at a close-up shot with my new camera.
    I have not yet figured out how to disable the automatic flash.

It's a Cannon Rebel EOS1000. So far, I'm not overly impressed
    with it.

Greg

Comment

What kind of lens are you using with it Greg? To turn off flash push the flash button on front of cam until display shows the flash off icon. Try shooting in P A or M mode, better than Auto.
      Last edited by Roglebk; 10-22-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

A lightbox is a great tool for shooting Orders, they are around 9$ on ebay. Try searching for "photo light box". I use 2 IKEA Magiker lights but any Halogen spots works fine.

Comment

Here's the setup Greg. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=115

Comment

A very nice pick up my friend.

W/out doubt whit a many many temperament and patina.

Great and congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
              A lightbox is a great tool for shooting Orders, they are around 9$ on ebay. Try searching for "photo light box". I use 2 IKEA Magiker lights but any Halogen spots works fine.
              Hi Carl,
              That was only the second photo that I have taken with that camera. It was just a
              quickie shot done with the camera flash. I had not yet figured out how to disable
              the flash in automatic mode.

I normally use a light box and spot lights so I can control the lighting. I just did not
              take the time to do a proper set up. To answer your question, the lens is the
              standard Cannon EFS 18-55mm zoom that came with the kit. I am not overly impressed
              with the lens and at some point would like to get a good (or better) Macro lens. Any recommendations?

I'll try to make some free time this weekend to take some proper pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Gew44 View Post
                A very nice pick up my friend.

W/out doubt whit a many many temperament and patina.

Great and congrats
                Thanks Max

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                  Hi Carl,
                  That was only the second photo that I have taken with that camera. It was just a
                  quickie shot done with the camera flash. I had not yet figured out how to disable
                  the flash in automatic mode.

I normally use a light box and spot lights so I can control the lighting. I just did not
                  take the time to do a proper set up. To answer your question, the lens is the
                  standard Cannon EFS 18-55mm zoom that came with the kit. I am not overly impressed
                  with the lens and at some point would like to get a good (or better) Macro lens. Any recommendations?

I'll try to make some free time this weekend to take some proper pictures.
                  Aha, good. Don't think you can disable flash in Auto. Use P instead, almost the same, or even better A so you can set Aperture for good depth of field (focusdepth). For orders you don't need anything longer than 60mm. Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 is cheap but only goes down to 1:2 (half life size) so not for tiny makers marks. Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 is more but magnifies to 1:1. Tamron Sigma and Tokina is also an option. Even cheaper, get a 58mm +10 diopter, it will fit the 18-55 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-58mm-M...hbdeTyKS5Ngo8A

With a diopter you get closer and it magnifies but also need to stop down aperture, 18-55 starts on f/3.5 and you need at least f/9 or so for proper focusdepth.
                  Last edited by Roglebk; 10-24-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
                    Aha, good. Don't think you can disable flash in Auto. Use P instead, almost the same, or even better A so you can set Aperture for good depth of field (focusdepth). For orders you don't need anything longer than 60mm. Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 is cheap but only goes down to 1:2 (half life size) so not for tiny makers marks. Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 is more but magnifies to 1:1. Tamron Sigma and Tokina is also an option. Even cheaper, get a 58mm +10 diopter, it will fit the 18-55 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-58mm-M...hbdeTyKS5Ngo8A

With a diopter you get closer and it magnifies but also need to step down aperture, 18-55 starts on f/3.5 and you need at least f/9 or so for proper focusdepth.
                    Thanks Carl,
                    I was curious about the close-up rings. I've never used one. I have been looking
                    at the 60mm lens. It seems to have really good reviews.

The more I use this camera the more I like it. It takes really good outside,
                    scenic shots. I just need to dial in on how to get it to take good close ups.

Thanks for your help.--I really appreciate it.
                    Last edited by gregM; 10-24-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Digital camera development has been insane and manufacturers churn out new models like canned soup. One can buy a coup years old cam for almost nothing with an image quality almost impossible to tell apart from a new one. Your cam is old but doesn't mean the pics looks old

Extension Rings is also an option for macro with the 18-55. They go between the camera and lens and do not affect image quality like the diopters.

Meybauer is great, real Silver is always better than those weird tin ones with 1939 on!

Comment

A very nice Meybauer!
                        I Like a lot the crosses not in Perfect conditions because it means they have worked a lot.
                        Congrats

Stefano

Comment

Nice find! As for DSLR cameras, people buy them and think they will instantly make their pictures better, but there is a learning curve. Canon makes a number of good macro lenses, which can be found used also.

Comment

This is suppose to be a good marco lens. There is also a 60mm available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...USM_Macro.html

Comment

Thanks Steve
                              I'll do some reading on it.

I've been using my Nikon point and shoot for so long, I have to unlearn some bad habits.
                              I used a Cannon 35mm for years and loved it. It's like stepping back to my big camera
                              but with more electronics. I'm sure it's just a maker trail and erroe and practice
                              Last edited by gregM; 10-26-2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X