Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wurttemberg silver military merit/bravery medal

Hi again

Ok, last medal for today ( I wish there were more ).

It's a Wurttemberg silver military merit/bravery medal.

What can you tell me about it ? did it have more grades ? when was it
    awarded ? How many were awarded ?

Also why is it's ribbon yellow/black while my other wurttemberg medal is
    orange/gray ribbon ? Didn't they think that collectors might want to display
    it nicely with same colors ?

Anyway, here goes :
    Attached Files

I found out from Dave's ( Danner ) site that there is also a golden military
    merit medal, now I'll to search for one.

Any idea on the years they were awarded and how many awarded and for
    what reason ?

Thanks

Ran

Originally posted by Ran
    Hi again

Ok, last medal for today ( I wish there were more ).

It's a Wurttemberg silver military merit/bravery medal.

What can you tell me about it ? did it have more grades ? when was it
    awarded ? How many were awarded ?

Also why is it's ribbon yellow/black while my other wurttemberg medal is
    orange/gray ribbon ? Didn't they think that collectors might want to display
    it nicely with same colors ?

Anyway, here goes :

Comment

Ran,

Here are the numbers:

Goldene Militärverdienstmedaille: 4234<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
      Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille: 201412

As you can notice the silver bravery medal was quite generously awarded. The Golden one is much rarer, especially the real Gold medals (marked 333 or even higher Gold content marked pieces) awarded early in the war.

The silver medal was given as an "iron cross 2nd class" for EM and NCOs serving under the colours of the Kingdom of Württemberg. The Golden one was much more higher, sort of a Golden Bavarian medal or the so-called Prussian Pour le Mérite for EM and NCOs or Golden Saxon St. Henry Medal...

Why the ribbon's colours? That's quite an easy answer... look at pre-1918 Württemberg flag colours...

Civil and State Flag early 19th century

later... Civil and State Flag 1896-1935

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Claudio, Thank you very much ! Great info, highly appreciated

Edit : let me understand : from 1896 the same medal was awarded with different
        ribbon ( red ), or it kept it's own yellow ribbon. Or was it not awarded after 1986 ?

Thanks again,

Ran

Comment

Ran,

Yellow and black have always been Württemberg's main colours... Still nowadays are using them...

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/de-bw.html

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

History: The Military Merit Medal was awarded from 1794 until 1918, making it one of the oldest bravery medal in the world for enlisted soldiers.

The Kingdom of Austria was first, with its Bravery Medal founded in 1789. In Russia a Medal "For Bravery" was established that year, too, but I'm not sure if it was the official imperial bravery medal for enlisted soldiers at that point. In 1793, the Kingdom of Prussia established its Military Merit Medal and the Kingdom of Sardinia its Medal of Military Valor.

The then-Duchy of Württemberg established the Military Merit Medal on May 30, 1794. The Duchy of Bavaria followed on October 30, 1794 with its Military Merit Medal. The Duchy of Saxony created the medals of the Military St. Henry Order on March 17, 1796. All three duchies became kingdoms in 1806. Most other countries followed later. Baden in 1807, France in 1851, Britain in 1854, for example.

Ribbon: During the Napoleonic Wars, the ribbon of Württemberg's Military Merit Order and the Military Merit Medal was yellow with a black stripe near each edge. In 1818, the ribbon was changed to blue. On September 25, 1914, the ribbon went back to yellow with black stripes.

Types: There was originally only a silver medal, for NCOs and enlisted men. In 1800 a gold medal was added, but was limited to officers. In 1806 the gold medal was opened to NCOs. In 1818, the statutes were revised, and the gold was for NCOs and the silver for enlisted men. Officers were no longer eligible. At some point before World War One, the gold was again opened up for officers, as well as exceptional enlisted soldiers who already had the silver medal.

Numbers: Claudio gave the WW1 numbers. I don't know the prewar numbers. Of the 4234 awards of the gold medal, 1832 were to officers and 2402 were to NCOs and soldiers.

Comment

Dave

Thank you !

Now my description is complete for this medal and it's ready to get printed for
              my medals folder ( I have one in the computer describing them all and one in
              print ).

Best regards,

Ran

( of course I have images for each medal both in the PC and the printed
              version ).
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X