Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Schott U-boat badge

Hi Guys

I just grabbed this one from the recent Thies auction sold as a copy however I think that was an incorrect description as IMO the badge is genuine but probably very late production.

The maker mark appears to be textbook and there are also the reverse striations present that the majority of badges exhibit. This one also has the circular milling marks on the reverse of the conning tower which you find on some examples.

Of interest is the pin which is atypical for a Schott marked example and the pressure cracks in the metal resulting from the forging/ striking process (I have seen the same on brass WW2 flight clasps by Juncker)

What do you think? Has anyone seen one with this style of pin before?

Many thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

;;;;
    Attached Files

Comment

'''''
      Attached Files

Comment

Personally, the pin bothers me. The Schott pin is typically flat, narrow with straight, slightly rounded edges and a blunt slightly rounded end (no point).

Comment

The badge itself looks fine to me. The cracking is a little more (actually a lot more) than you typically see on these, but there are stress cracks on many examples.

The pin (as you say) is not what is commonly encountered, however I have seen these round type pins before in various configurations.

I would say a replacement pin (or possible variation) from the typical "square - flat" types normally encountered.

Comment

Thanks guys, hard to say about the pin- it doesn't show any sign of resoldering so I am inclined to think it is just a strange original

Comment

Re the pin, it looks like the entire pin was replaced. The central segment does not match the outer segments and the hinge pin appears to be poorly clipped at both ends (hard to see the top side though), indicating it is also a replacement.

I don't recall seeing a badge that cracked before! It's the maker mark stamp that does it for me - imo a 100% genuine marking.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by mike kenny View Post
                re the pin, it looks like the entire pin was replaced. The central segment does not match the outer segments and the hinge pin appears to be poorly clipped at both ends (hard to see the top side though), indicating it is also a replacement.

I don't recall seeing a badge that cracked before! It's the maker mark stamp that does it for me - imo a 100% genuine marking.

Regards
                mike
                +1 I agree with Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X