Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMJO question

Greetings everyone!
    I have a question regarding these two types of MMJOs that are both considered 'wearers copy', when do you think they were produced?

The first type is more commonly seen, and have some unique features.
    One of these was auctioned by Hermann Historica, and was described as 'silver-plated gold, later second piece, presumably from the 1930s/40s'. It's part of the Maximilian Ritter von Pohl grouping.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lewjian; 07-02-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The second type also auctioned by HH auction house, which was described as a contemporary "second piece" in gilt bronze from the period directly after the First World War, however it also stated that 'this piece should not be confused with the more commonly encountered collectors' items in gold or gilt silver from the period of the Federal Republic'. Do you think it's referring to the type shown above?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lewjian View Post
        The first type is more commonly seen, and have some unique features.
        One of these was auctioned by Hermann Historica, and was described as 'silver-plated gold, later second piece, presumably from the 1930s/40s'. It's part of the Maximilian Ritter von Pohl grouping.
        Hello:

Interesting questions that you bring up regarding these items. This type is often seen and I personally think that they were made to deceive collectors, probably in the 1960's-1970's, rather than the 1930's/1940's. In my opinion they are worthless.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by lewjian View Post
          The second type also auctioned by HH auction house, which was described as a contemporary "second piece" in gilt bronze from the period directly after the First World War, however it also stated that 'this piece should not be confused with the more commonly encountered collectors' items in gold or gilt silver from the period of the Federal Republic'. Do you think it's referring to the type shown above?
          Hello again:

This type is much better made and is very much like the WWI gold originals. These could be true private-purchase wearing replacements made prior to 1945. I have seen a photo of a MMJO RK recipient wearing this type circa 1942/3. I do not know what "HH" is referring to as the "commonly encountered GOLD collectors items from the Federal Period", but am very curious about this.

Best regards,
          Last edited by Rangemaster; 07-02-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Yes that sounds right Rangemaster.
            To me the bigger problem of first type shown above is the difference in shape compare to award piece, it's strange if a private piece of such a high end award bears different feature than originals. This is similar when talking about interwar PLM private copies.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X