EK2 and wound badge document signature questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 and wound badge document signature questions

The EK2 document to Oberjäger Fritz Andreal (spelling?) of Jäger-Bataillon 10 shown below was signed by his unit's commander Hauptmann Kirchheim in February 1917, while the unit was serving in Rumania.

The "Ehrenbuch der grünen Farbe" provides plenty of information on the unit's activities at that time.

From the "Deutschlands Heere bis 1918" series, I understand that Hauptmann Kirchheim commanded Jäger-Bataillon 10 from September 1916 until the end of the war and that he received the PlM in September 1917 and a Hohenzollern order at some time. The May 1912 Prussian rank list indicates that there were three Oberleutnants named Kirchheim serving in Infanterie-Regiment 15 (a likely candidate), in the Fussartillerie with Landwehrbezirk Bonn (unlikely) and with the Schutztruppe für Südwestafrika (another possible candidate).

Can anyone provide any further information on Hauptmann Kirchheim's career and awards?

Many thanks in advance,

David
    Last edited by Frosch; 12-14-2005, 03:18 PM.

Wound badge document

In September 1918 Oberjäger Andral (diferent spelling?) was awarded the black wound badge for two wounds.

This rather plain typed document was issued by the field recruit depot of the Alpenkorps. Unfortunately, the signature in unclear, but looks like it might read Frhr. von Bechtolsheim. The 1912 Prussian rank list index includes an entry for "gen. Bechtolsheim, f. Frhr. v. Mauchenheim", who was serving as a Leutnant with Baden Leib-Grenadier-Regiment 109.

Can anyone confirm if this is the same man and, if so, provide any further information on Frhr. von Bechtolsheim's career and awards?

Many thanks in advance,

David
    Last edited by Frosch; 12-14-2005, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Hello,

the name of the man is Andreae.

Regards,
      Jan

Comment

Hi Jan and all those that sent me PMs ,

Thanks for pointing out the correct spelling of his name. I wish there was a smiley for slapping your forehead and saying "DUH" when it is so obvious.

I am reliably informed that Kirchheim and Frhr. von Bechtolsheim went on to greater things later on in life.

Many thanks to all concerned,

David

Comment

I have Heinrich Kirchheim as PLM on October 16, 1918, Knight's Cross on May 14, 1941 as Generalmajor and CO of Ital. Div. "Brescia", died December 14, 1973, ultimate rank Generalleutnant.

Comment

The Jaeger's Unit

Note that the EK II was awarded when our Jaeger was with his field company, but when he got his wound certificate he was in the Rekruten Depot, probably since he was at least temporarily disabled by his latest wound. If you study Militaer=Paesse you see this all the time, guys getting out of Lazarett and parked in a wide variety of units and places until (hopefully) they were well enough for field duty.

"Light wounds" did not seem to count for getting a click on your wound badge tally. Anyone know the details, any regs, just the Feldwebel's judgement?

Bob Lembke

Comment

Many thanks for the information and comments.

/David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X