Medal Bar and EKI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal Bar and EKI

I'm a helmet/headgear collector gents and need your help on this one. All of the medals appear to be original and in excellent condition. The EKII is three piece, with magnetic core, and, the ring is marked. The HC is magnetic. The other two medals are non magnetic, as well as the EK1. The EKI is un marked. I do have a few questions -

1. Are the medals original?
    2. Are they original to the WWI era?
    3. Is the medal bar correct? It appears to have been cobbled together.
    4. What is the medal on the far right?
    5. Is there any way to determine if the ribbons are original?

Thanks for any assistance provided it is much appreciated.

Chuck
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hc
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Eki
              Attached Files

Comment

The EK1 looks like a one piece fake.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi mate,

The far right is a veterans association medal. I'm unsure of the backing plate and pin setup, I have none which are similar (red) and I have few (maker marked and homemade). That's not to say someone else hasn't. The Hindy is in the wrong position too. To me it looks to be cobbled together.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Comment

The Ek1 is a fake as Don pointed out. Also the Ek2 ribbon looks fake to me aswell.

Comment

The bar has been put together. As said the EKII ribbon is new as is, I think that of the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross and maybe even the Hindy. The only ribbon that is genuine for sure is the PLKV vet cross and that ribbon unlike any of the others is worn and soiled, which doesn't make sense. The black thread on the reverse is wrong. It's far too thin for the type used for mounting and double strand. Mounting was usually done with much thicker single strand thread, which was often sized with starch for extra strength. I would bet the thread on this bar is polyester, as well. If you black light it, you'll see a purple tinge.

All in all it's a pretty poor job.

Comment

The backing plate looks like a piece of plastic from some printed item. The pin and catch is one long piece of brass shaped to form the pin and catch, definitely a cobbled up affair

Comment

Hi Chuck,

all has been said, complete "put together and throw in a fake ek1" kind of group.
                          Better run,

Best regards,
                          Michel

Comment

The crosses patina is good (EK2), I like it, it has good age. The others look fine too. Where did you find this one (estate auction, online, garage sale), I only ask because you find some extraordinary artifacts... and because I'm nosey

Cheers,

Jamie
                            Last edited by muzrub; 05-29-2015, 06:04 AM.

Comment

If you got this for $50 you're ok as the medals on the bar are original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X