can anyone help please??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can anyone help please??

hello all, have had this helmet in a cupboard for years now, it was bought back from france by my great grandfather who apparently swapped it for a cigarette whilst ferrying troops on his minesweeper, i was just wondering if any one had any ideas as to its origins i.e. what sort of unit it would have come from etc, as it doesnt have the usual spike on top, any comments greatly apprieciated

cheers chris.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hrvatski; 12-30-2004, 06:39 PM.

Can't see any pics

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wainwrigh
      Can't see any pics
      am new to the site and cant seem to get them to appear on the post although they upload???? help please.............

Comment

read this through. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=30341It'll help ya.
        Thanks,
        Eric Gaumann

Comment

Originally posted by EricFG
          thanks for that eric, have sussed it now, tried to add to many images to one post lol, will post a few more now, thanks alot..

Comment

ref; help

another...
            Attached Files

Comment

ref; help

and another...... all comment appreiciated thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Spiked Helmet

hrvatski,

This is an enlisted man's Model 1915 spiked helmet. While missing a lot of things, it is in relatively good shape and the parts needed to restore it can be found with a little patience. You will need a front plate with retaining loops that match the holes on the front of the helmet, a chinstrap, a national and a state cockade for the Model 91 side posts, and a detachable spike or artillery ball. Other than that, it just needs a careful cleaning, which you can get instructions for at one of the varioius websites that pertain to Pickelhauben.

My first advice would be to clean up the inside of the rear visor to see if you have any legible unit markings, which will be stamped in black ink. If you do, and you can read them, you will have your best clue as to how to restore this helmet to its original appearance.

Best of luck,
                Chip

Comment

thanks for that chip, couldnt have asked for a better reply, top info, thanks again, chris

Comment

Chris,

<O></O>

Chip is right on. The inside back visor is really the key. If this was brought back on a trip ship, it probably has markings. Those markings are called depot marks. They can tell you loads about the helmet. There is a list of abbreviations in my article on depot marks at:

http://www.coljs.com/articles.htm.

I don't pretend to think it's a total list, but it might help. A small era tend to is the fact that not all plates are made equal to the grommet holes on the front of the helmet. There were hundreds of manufacturers and regularly to distance between holes depended on manufacturer, type of plate, army Corps of issue. I hope this helps.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X