X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info needed on Spike helmet!

Hi

I had a collector send me some pics and
    he asked for info on this spike and its value!

Thanks for the time and help!

PaulV
    Attached Files

Spike!

pic2
    Attached Files

Comment

spike

pic3
      Attached Files

Comment

spike

pic4
        Attached Files

Comment

spike

pic5
          Attached Files

Comment

spike

pic6
            Attached Files

Comment

spike

pic7
              Attached Files

Comment

Its a VERY nice wartime Jager zu Pferd helmet...I suppose a current value would be somewhere between $700 and $1000...

Cheers,
                Arran.

Comment

Hi values on these are all over the board. Negatives include the liner and the over polished steel spike ( grey bit there). Positives include the body and markings. In Europe I have seen these going for $1500 USD is slightly better condition. Hope this helps.

Comment

Jäger zu Pferde

The only thing I can add is that the chin strap is not the original one (I have never seen one like it) and the cockades/cockards are not the proper version for this helmet. Most (if not all) of these model 1915 Jäger zu Pferde helmets we see were captured from storehouses, not picked up in the field. The smaller cockards were added when these were given away by the government for the purchase of war bonds. They were also given out to the states as captured war booty and could be ordered from a hugh list of captured material that the federal government had. I've seen a list and it would make you swoon to see some of the things being offered!

Regards,
                    Chip

Comment

Paul,

These cockades should be 65mm. I can't tell how big they are but they look a bit small. A flyer about "Liberty Bond" Helmets is in my article on depot marks http://www.coljs.com/articles.htm

Fascinating little deal. I usualy refer to these as "war bond" helmets.

VR/ Joe

Comment

what kind of stuff was being offered chip? make me swoon!!!!
                        iv seen spiked helmets in worse shape go for over 1500 euros over here! but a nice helmet none the less!

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Minx
                          the cockades/cockards are not the proper version for this helmet.
                          The large 65mm Kokarden utilized on the M1889/91 Kürassier and M1905 Jäger zu Pferde helmets made sense as the chinscales on these helmets were substantially larger at the mount end than Ulanen, Husaren, Artillery etc chinscales. But when the M1915 version came out, it was only issued with a leather chinstrap so I believe it is a carried-over assumption by collectors that the Kokarden should still be 65mm. I believe that standard 48mm Kokarden are correct on an M1915 Kürassier or Jäger zu Pferde helmet. But yea, the strap is hokey and a shame about the liner.

Comment

Tony, Interesting theory about the 48mm cockade. What makes you think so? Very possible but I have seen nothing that indicates it. Then there is the 55mm OR cockade……

Comment

Originally posted by joerookery
                              What makes you think so?
                              Because it makes sense. The M1915 regulations in addition to removing brass and German silver from helmet production strove for standardization. All helmets utilized the same chinstraps, removable spike tops (except the maker Lachmann) and the same would seem to apply to Kokarden. Large chinsclaes as I said, required oversize Kokarden. But for a M91 chinstrap, there really is no need for a large Kokarden, the standard 48 mm works fine. Do I have an AKO? No, of course not. Opinion only. Kokarden size for M1915 Metal helmets IMHO can go either way. Utilizing left-over 65 mm stocks or utilizing readily available 48 mm stock.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X