Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an Imperial item

Hi
    this is part of a large collection of German items I have inherited. I am trying to identify them and sort out the original from the copies. This item appears to be constructed of some tin like metal. It measures about 3 inches top to bottom and the same side to side.
    Can anyone advise what it is and if it is original?
    Many thanks
    Andy

Hope this is in the correct forum.
    Attached Files

the back

the back
    Attached Files

Comment

its an imperial cap device!
      from prussia i would say.
      but thats all.
      hope other forum members could help more

christian

Comment

Guard Star

This is one of the forms of the Prussian guard insignia, commonly called a guard star. This particular pattern was worn by the Garde Jäger Bataillon, the Garde Maschinegewehrabteilungen and perhaps others. Based on the dimensions and the attachments on the reverse, I would guess that it was attached to something like a wartime felt shako.

Best regards,
        Chip

Comment

Judging by the attaching tabs on the reverse and the three inch size, I would say that you have the Prussian Guard Star from an Imperial Pickelhaube. This star would have been mounted on the breast of a Guard Eagle which in turn was mounted on the front of a Spike Helmet.

I disagree with Chip in that all the shako stars I have seen were mounted with the same loops as the Pickelhauben Wappen. Of course there is a better than even chance that I am dead wrong.

Comment

I agree with GWA that issue stars would have been mounted with the standard retaining loops. Since these prongs are not standard, we might assume that the plate is a private purchase piece?

I disagree that this plate would have been mounted on the breast of a guard eagle. If you look at the guard eagle front plates, they have a completely different pattern of star, without the text ring.

Regards,
            Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X