A Chaplain with pride....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Chaplain with pride....

Neatly hiding in the back row of one of my photographs was this Chaplain..... check out how he's stowed his cross!
    Last edited by stogieman; 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by stogieman
    Neatly hiding in the back row of one of my photographs was this Chaplain..... check out how he's stowed his cross!
    He is wearing a non-com EK ribbon through the button-hole, right?

Comment

Yep!

Our cigar smoking friend has neatly tucked his cross behind his non-combattant EK2 ribbon!

Comment

Originally posted by stogieman
        Our cigar smoking friend has neatly tucked his cross behind his non-combattant EK2 ribbon!
        Nice! I have never seen that before worn thought the buttonhole.

best,
        Gerd

Comment

Makes sense if you think about it. The guy probably spent quite a bit of time sitting at a desk doing paperwork. It reminds me of my old practice of tucking my tie into the shirt between the 2nd and 3rd buttons when at work.

Nice!

Comment

looks to be a center stripe on the ribbon... are you sure its an EK NK ?

Comment

Most likely it is a fold in the ribbon from prolonged duty as a "crucifix holder".

Also interesting is the ribbon bar on the other fellow. It would seem that the EK ribbon may have a 'vanity' cross on the ribbon, which I presumed to be a strictly postwar affectation.

Comment

Good eyes!

Well, I was waiting for someone to notice that..... we now have had several war-time photographs of Saxons wearing the miniature on a ribbon bar before the end of the war. This still seems to be a purely Saxon prediliction.... I have yet to find a ribbon bar/photo of anyone else wearing this miniature.

Comment

i think its a hohenzollern ribbon - look at the middle stripe (like chris mentioned before)

Comment

You wouldn't need to tuck in a cross if you are sitting at a desk. The reason why you tuck in a cross is because when you walk it would swing side to side.
                    Some chaplains may sit at a desk all the time but a good one gets out with the troops.

About cigars…D.L. Moody met Charles Spurgeon in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1lace>London</st1lace></st1:City> (these were the best preachers in the world during the late 1800’s, Moody from the <st1:country-region><st1lace>US</st1lace></st1:country-region> and Spurgeon from <st1:City><st1lace>London)</st1lace></st1:City>. Spurgeon was smoking a cigar and Moody asked him if he thought smoking was excessive…Spurgeon replied…no but smoking two cigars at the same time would be.

Nice Pic

Originally posted by Eric Stahlhut
                    Makes sense if you think about it. The guy probably spent quite a bit of time sitting at a desk doing paperwork. It reminds me of my old practice of tucking my tie into the shirt between the 2nd and 3rd buttons when at work.

Nice!

Comment

Interesting pic!!!
                      I think it is a double ribbon; 2 16 mm wide woven together.
                      If he is a Saxon I think EK and Albert.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X