BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prussian heavy "pipe-back" cavalry saber, 1883...model??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prussian heavy "pipe-back" cavalry saber, 1883...model??

Hello folks. Found this wrist-breaker at the flea market this week. First of its type I've come across. I typically find the "Blucher" types w/ regularity, however this behemoth of a sword is defying my attempts so far at positively id'ing it by Model type. I "think" it's a Model 1879 version of the earlier 1852 type. This ones got a quite heavy "pipe-back" (or quill-back, depending on which nomenclature you prefer), blade, and carries the "W" cypher and two-digit date code of "83" on its spine. The Maker marks and unit designations are crisply struck to the ricasso and "guard / basket" of the hilt respectively, and the scabbard throat bears the same unit markings, along with an "x'd" out previous set. The hilt appears to be black leather wrapped over a wooden base, however I don't believe there was ever any braided wire wrap as I see no impressions of one. The original leather finger loop is secured via a large slotted screw in the guard. It's somewhat fragile, but at least it's still there. The guard is very heavy steel, and has proof-marks throughout, as does the ferrule. The scabbard is blued steel, has matching unit numbers stamped at the throat (along w/ the previous "X'd" out ones, and retains its throat screw and single suspension ring. It's a great looking, HEAVY DUTY, working weapon, and as yet I've not been able to find the correct model nomenclature with this hilt and pipe-back blade configuration. The blade is in beautiful condition, and has only the original factory applied edge and no rust, nicks, etc. I've uploaded some photos in the hope that you folks can enlighten me a bit further.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That's a working man's blade. Not some fancy officer's dress party sword

Comment

Yes, Greg, it most certainly is. Now, if I could just nail it down by Model / type...

Comment

Milton,
              I sent pictures of your sword to a member of another forum that
              I am active on. He opinion is like that of yours. It is a late version
              of the Model 52 and just known as the model 52.

Comment

Hi again Greg. Works for me! So far, out of over 100 visits to this thread, you're the only one who's posted an opinion. I'm of a mindset that it's not at all a common sword in this configuration. I can honestly say in all my years of hunting down militaria, it's the first of its kind that I've personally ever come across. Thanks again for taking the time to help me ID this one.

Comment

The unit stamp is for a Reserve Proviant Colonne (also found and normally with a "K") or reserve supply column. The saber is the pattern for the Train troops of the Prussian, Baden and Hessian contingents. I'm going to have to do a little research on the model year.

Chip

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for the information and for commenting Chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
                      So far, out of over 100 visits to this thread, you're the only one who's posted an opinion.
                      Don't feel bad, I've got one of those threads going right now as well.

Comment

Nice issue piece. It seeems like the M52, M52/79, and the M67 were pretty similar so not sure how one would figure it out other than issue date. I like the pre-M89 models so think this one is a nice find.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Pietsch says that through a Prussian Kriegs-Ministerium (K.M.) decree of July 20th 1896, the mounted Train personnel wore the M52 Säbel. This would make the unit marks come after that date.

Chip

Comment

Makes sense Chip, as there is an earlier unit designation crossed out on both sword and scabbard. Thank you for the add'l info.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X