Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Turkish War Medal?

Hello all,
    enamel has been repaired, but is this an OK Iron Halfmoon?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Files

Reverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks legit....

... albeit the color is very strange, possibly from your photo?? Should be a silver color, not gold/brass. Hinge, pin & maker mark look correct for BB&Co.

Comment

Chris,

It's a very typical BB&Co. Türkisches Halbmond. To add what Rick said, the Turkish Halfmoon produced by BB&Co. is one of the common ones.

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Thanks Claudio and Rick!
          The color is indeed brass, not silver.

Regards
          Chris

Comment

OK- Brass is VERY unusual and so is the enamel colour. What is the length of the pin ?
            Thanks,
            JeMc

Comment

I'd agree with Jeff...

.. if the color is in fact as you say, brass, then this is an extremely unusual cross!

Comment

Hello Jeff,
                length is 3cm.

In general, this piece looks (and somehow feels) like pieces I have seen on this forum.

Regards
                Chris

Comment

... like these, for example:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&page=4&pp=15

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=10030&page=3

There is one brass colored star on each page.

Regards
                  Chris

Comment

brass or brass colored?

Sometimes the light from the camera can make the metal on a medal yellowish-or in this case brass looking. A couple of these may be actual brass, but I'd be surprised. A real brass EH medal is rare. Trust me on this, I have looked at and handled over 100 of these now over the past 7 years and i have yet to see a brass one. Brass was a restricted metal in the Central Powers after 1915. If it is real brass then it perhaps begs the question, why the BB & Co pin/catch?
                    One of Rick L's prize pieces was a turkish made 9non BB & Co.) star that was nickled brass-awarded to an NCO by a Turkish officer in Nablis @ 1917.
                    Last edited by McCulloh; 11-29-2004, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Ironically, as I edited this post above, (after checking my notes) I received a gentle rebuke from a ghostly presence who reminded me that all BB & Co. stars were nickled brass and that this is a piece that has been overpolished!
                      Another piece of Sherlock Holmes like deducting reminds us that brass was dirt cheap out East, whereas it was rare and rationed in Europe. Thus, perhaps a clue as to the local origins of the stars (although the Tugrhas are still wrong).
                      Hmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Jeff, the ghost haunted me as well. So this is an original piece that has been messed with.
                        Thanks for your opinions!

Regards
                        Chris

Comment

I would agree it's either a trick of the light, or the silver plating has simply been polished away. I have seen a few German-made bronze examples that appear to have never had any plating, so that may have been a variation made after the war for private purchase. This piece, however, is a standard BB&Co. example.

Tim
                          "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Thanks all for your opinions!
                            Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X