Cased 1914 EK Set from WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased 1914 EK Set from WWII

Wanted to show off this set. Privately purchased by or for a WWI vet during the Second World War. Both EK1 and EK2 are the larger WWII variety - the EK2 is unmarked while the EK1 is marked L/10 on the pin for Deschler & Sohn of Munich. The EKs are in excellent condition and fit perfectly within the indents of the case's black velet base. The case also includes a beautiful patriotic EK design on its lid.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Very nice set Brian....love that case!

Marshall

Comment

Wonderful set, Brian. I love it.

best,
              Gerd

Comment

Very nice set Brian.
                Don
                pseudo-expert

Comment

I am not being a sceptic, just puting a cat among the pigeons here.
                  These cases areto be found having contained everything from medlas through surgical equipment to fish forks, glass slides and whatevers.
                  I have on occasion gutted them, relined them with velvet and used them for medals. The decorations on the outside are also to be found in odds ad sods boxes at flea markets.

When you buy a case like this, do you lift out the insides to see if it was original?

All the best
                  Chris

Comment

I my experience I have found that most of the trays for where the medals sit are glued in place and can not be removed. If it comes apart easily that is onething, but to force it apart is another. I for one would not attempt to take apart an expensive case like this. Of the few cases I have taken apart I have found nothing on the inside. A black light can be used to determine if the material that lines the tray is old or new. I find it slightly odd that the crosses are of WW2 manufacturing and fit the case perfectly. That would mean that the case and crosses were made after 1939. I would think that at that point someone would have the spanges. All in all it is a nice case and really hard to find.
                    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

The catch looks very similar to the one on my LW Honor Goblet case.
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

Hi George,

Sure, but the point I was trying to make is these cases are not all military, Black, blue, brown green paper cases were used for lots of different things, the same catches and hooks etc.

There is a real cottage industry buying these kind of things on fleamarkets, redoing the interiors and storing awars/selling as award cases etc.

I have made a few for private use over the years. The first for a RK then for Brit awards etc. They are easy and fun to make.

If I were to pay premium I would force the bottom out (I can always reglue it) and see. Old glue usually dont stick that well anyway. and the padding. It can usually be done without damage. If there is no trace of screwing around and the materials are fine...then but some of these cases cost 100s and thats a lot of money if a hobby "case reconditioner" has played with it.

Comment

I wasn't taking issue with your point, Chris. I was just noting the similarity.
                          George

Comment

Well....

... Chris has valid points. I've even seen WW2 US Medal Boxes "re-worked" into custom EK1/EK2 cases! Unfortunately, for those of us who value cases and boxes, it is becoming an ever-present issue. Currently, theres a 9K "Luftschiffer Set" on eBay in the US. The "Custom-Case" is quite real, but the bar inside doesn't match the insert/impression in the case!
                            Brian, your set looks nice to me, but I would thoroughly check the tray/liner, etc. for any evidence of shenanagins....

This is just one more area where we all need to utilize our common sense and investigate before plunking down the Euros/Dollars!

Comment

Maybe its the photo, but when I look at the corners of the lining in the lid... it seems as if they dont fit like a Jungfrau. kinda like they were forced in at some stage.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X