WWI German train ticket to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI German train ticket to ???

This is kinda different. I have seen and sold many WWII German train tickets for soldiers but this is the first I have had for a soldier in WWI. This is a travel voucher for a soldier to travel from Friedrichshafen to Achiet le Grand via Cologne, Hervesthal and St. Quentin. This was issued on April 30. 1916 by 2nd Battalion fo Baden Inf Regt 169. Interesting note on the voucher is it is to be handed in on arrival--might be why we don't see many of these. Nothing spectacular but still a interesting document. Thanks to a good friend for reading this for me! Miike
    Attached Files

Train Ticket

Mike;

Nice document. Did your friend translate the handwritten phrase at the top, Heimatsurlaub, or "homeland vacation". Also the allowance of 1.50 Marks per day travelling money.

I have a document of my father's, which turned out (after I learned to read German) to be a de-lousing certificate. I then consulted his Militaer=Pass and saw that he left for a leave in Germany from the front in France a couple of days after his de-lousing.

I have a letter from my grand-father, who was an officer on the East Front, saying that you did not have to lie down, you merely had to look at a bed and you were covered with lice. He described the sanitary situation as horrible. And he was not an effete gentleman, he was of sturdy peasant stock.

The Germans could move a division from France to the East Front in three days. But to go the other way it required four, due to the elaborate de-lousing necessary; they had very large-scale sophisticated facilities located along the train lines, I believe.

Bob Lembke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X