CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for WWI German Regiment in Belgium March 1918?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for WWI German Regiment in Belgium March 1918?

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hello all,
    I'm looking for the WWI German regiment that a granduncle of mine belonged to. He was KIA on 8th March 1918 in the area of Hooglede which is in Western Belgium, near Roeselare (Roulers). Does anyone have information which regiments fought at this time in this area?
    My granduncle was probably a Leutnant d.R., so if I knew which regiment he might have belonged to I could search in the regimental histories.

Thanks
    Chris

What was you grand uncles last name? I can look it up in the 1914 ranklist.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Thanks Paul,
      his name was Erich Baumgardt, but he cannot be in the 1914 RL. As far as I know, he was a 1914 volunteer who made Leutnant d.R. during the war. That's why I think I can only find him through his regimental history.

Regards
      Chris

Comment

That is a very common last name so I can't help with the 1914 RL, Sorry.

Comment

Prussian?

Chris,

no officer of that name is listed in the Ehrenmal des preußischen Offizier-Korps which lists all the Killed/died Prussian officers in WW1, both regular and reserve. Was he Prussian?

Regards
          Glenn

Comment

Glenn,
            yes, he was Prussian. Hmm... strange. I know he was an officer-candidate, but maybe he never made Leutnant.
            And I didn't know there was a complete list of killed officers. Can you maybe find a Leutnant d.R. Walter Papendick, KIA 11.09.1918?

Thanks a lot
            Chris

Comment

Leutnant der Reserve Papendieck

Hi Chris,

he probably made Vizefeldwebel der Reserve.

Leutnant der Reserve Papendieck, originally of the 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß was killed as a member of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 52 on 11.9.18 at Vailly.

Regards
              Glenn

Comment

Glenn,
                that's my Papendick! I didn't know he was in the 2. Garde, that must have been earlier in the war. I know he was in RIR 35 for a long time before joining IR 52. I have a pic of him, but I must find it.
                So Erich might have been Vizefeldwebel. I only know he was a one-year-volunteer in 1915 in Memel that's why I thought he made Leutnant later.

Thanks a lot!
                Chris

Comment

This is Walter Papendick after he received the EK1 in 1918:

Comment

And this is him in 1915. Is that a Garde uniform?
                    Thanks
                    Chris

Comment

2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß

Chris,

it certainly looks like 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß: Silver Double Litzen on a (red) collar patch and no regimental cypher or number on the shoulder board.

Regards
                      Glenn

Comment

Dumb question: Is he already officer in this 1915 photo?

Regards
                        Chris

Comment

Leutnant der Reserve

Chris,

yes, Leutnant der Reserve. Also note the Landwehrkreuz in the Prussian State cockade denoting his reserve status.

Regards
                          Glenn

Comment

Wow, thanks a lot! And here's two more pics of him. First, a very early one, I suppose he is still enlisted here:

And during the war, standing in front of a trench (?):

Regards
                            Chris

Comment

Chris, DO you have any of his documents or medals that you can post pictures of?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X