FR and Fr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FR and Fr

I am very fond of Friedlander Eks. Of course special hardware and other makers are still into my collecting field, but somehow I kind of find FR and Fr pieces to be of superb quality and simple prussian beauty

I was wondering how many different core variants have already been identified for both markings? I know 800 marked Eks have also been reckoned as Friedlanders as well.

Cheers, Alex

This might give some idea of the different cores

Fr--
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263251

FR-
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=266094

Comment

Isn't "FR" still belived to be Frank & Reif?

/peter

Comment

Thanks Greg for the Study links. For sure a good starter.
        Seems variations are more than a couple for both Fr and FR, as per Wernitz info. So I will just share three of my own with his typology.
        Core Type D I am not sure about because he mentions it for WS cores, but I am most eager to think they share this one although not listed in Wernitz. Oh, and mines are all FR marked.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just curious here but what is the difference between the B and C cores?

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post

/peter
            I always thought so.

Fr = Friedlander, Berlin

FR = Frank & Reif, Stuttgart

Comment

I called and spoke to Frank and Reif a number of years ago.... I had methusula on the phone and he was adament that they never made Imperial Iron Crosses.

I think the matching of FR and Frank and reif originates from some guy going down the list of initials and simply adding what he thinks to be logical to the list, an obvious danger in this case

best
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                Just curious here but what is the difference between the B and C cores?
                Basically are both the same apart from the grained surface of the C core.

Comment

Thanks
                  I did notice that and thought it may have been just a paint issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post
                    Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                    I always thought so.

Fr = Friedlander, Berlin

FR = Frank & Reif, Stuttgart
                    As Chris yet explained, no. Besides what he reports, this Stuttgart firm is not mentioned as a supplier in the Gerd Scharfenberg article or the Frank Wernitz book, both based on GOK archive files.

Now as both "Fr." and "FR" 1st class crosses are apparent early award types, and no other than the well known five Berlin makers were involved into official making of the EK1 until 1917, both "Fr." and "FR" must be Gebrüder Friedländer. Clear now?
                    sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X