EK 1 'WS' for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EK Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the detailed information, Trevor. You're input is always appreciated.
    Thanks Alex.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
      Ohh I forgotten the most important question how dos one recognize a cast core from a pressed core ?
      regards kay
      Hi Kay,

Cast iron cores have a different texture and feel to them which is a bit rougher. Of course the material itself is different: cast cores are made of iron, and stamped cores are made of steel, which is a iron alloyed with carbon (and perhaps other elements) to reduce the brittleness, and has a distinctly different texture.

For the most part, on 1914 EKs, the cast iron cores have softer details than the stamped steel cores. This isn't true of the 1870 series, of course, and not always true in 1914 either, but nevertheless it can serve as one sign among others to help you differentiate between them.

Ultimately, though, differentiating between cast iron and stamped steel is one of those things that just takes practice, and becomes easier the more EKs of each type you handle in a lifetime.

Once you've done it a lot, it's not possible to confuse the two types of cores.
      Last edited by streptile; 05-20-2014, 12:37 PM.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by Tan Berk View Post
        This is the WS I have which never shared before, now might be a good time to share for comparison, Trevor which generation do you think this one is?
        Hi Tan,

I'm not sure, and giving "generation names" to these is sort of new to me also. But yours is the classic Wagner combination that was made the longest in my opinion, and is (I think) the same type as I showed above under the title "next the hinge changed..."

Here is that type again, lifted from the Wagner reference thread sticky:

Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          Hi Kay,

Cast iron cores have a different texture and feel to them which is a bit rougher. Of course the material itself is different: cast cores are made of iron, and stamped cores are made of steel, which is a iron alloyed with carbon (and perhaps other elements) to reduce the brittleness, and has a distinctly different texture.

For the most part, on 1914 EKs, the cast iron cores have softer details than the stamped steel cores. This isn't true of the 1870 series, of course, and not always true in 1914 either, but nevertheless it can serve as one sign among others to help you differentiate between them.

Ultimately, though, differentiating between cast iron and stamped steel is one of those things that just takes practice, and becomes easier the more EKs of each type you handle in a lifetime.

Once you've done it a lot, it's not possible to confuse the two types of cores.
          hy Trevor ,,,thank you fore the nice and clear responses..

Ok ,,,
          we have texture ,,,
          we have a feel that is different,
          we have in (most cases )the softer detail
          we have handling practice

what do you think about the deviations in measurements that ( following my period books ) could ( should ) emerge wile casting..?

could it be taken in account to ? ....

Comment

Thank you Trevor for your explanation, it is always nice to find out more about my items, thanks to you.

Hi Tan,

I'm not sure, and giving "generation names" to these is sort of new to me also. But yours is the classic Wagner combination that was made the longest in my opinion, and is (I think) the same type as I showed above under the title "next the hinge changed..."

Here is that type again, lifted from the Wagner reference thread sticky:

Comment

That's okay. It's a bit confusing at first.
              Here's a link that shows the first Wagner type.
              Here's a link to one of these -- same exact type, but with a mark.
              I don't know, or I wouldn't have said "I suspect."
              Thank you. I agree my chronology of frames, cores and marks is correct, but cores are more difficult because they seem somewhat random for Wagner.

Perhaps a project for the forum to tackle together?
              thank you Trevor,,

we agree on the matter of early cores ..
              also on the matter that the first years already (3? )cores emerged.
              (two of them clearly iron cast)

fore what I tend to use a different theory is fore the markings .

I do assume the unmarked ek's are meant fore the GOK .
              the maker marked (with or without the silver contend mark )crosses where meant for the military marked .
              the 800/to 935 marked only fore the retail and private marked .

but fore the marking theory's in general ,,,
              only the silver contend marking laws of 1884 where not meant fore medals makers is proven so far .

to be honest : besides that anybody guess could be correct or wrong .

regards kay
              Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 05-21-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

here is my cast core contribution.
                Attached Files

Comment

the mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

the 1914
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X