Clear All

WW1 Alpini head for review

Hello everyone,

This is not my field.
    Looking forward to your comments!

Many thanks!
    Klaus
    www.butschek-antiques.com

Last edited by butschekantiques; 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM.

Some additional photos would be helpful. Are there rows of reinforcing stitching from the base of the crown to the front of the brim? What does the interior look like?

The color of the wool looks good, but the insignia backing is too green and is looking postwar to me. The leather band around the crown is also too green. WWI leather was more of a pale olive gray/green. The edges of the brim are usually not edged in cloth, but rather are just formed by folding over the edge (thus doubling the thickness of the felt) and stitching it down. Perhaps this cloth edging and band cover indicate a rank? Normally, rank is shown on the side of the crown with lace chevrons.

Chip

Sorry, not all of your photos had loaded. Seeing the interior, I would say this is, at best, a WWI hat that has been reworked in a later time. The backing of the grommets are aluminum, which usually indicates a later period. I see that the reinforcing stitching is there on the front. Issue caps usually have white ink markings (maker and location) on the black lining.

I am no expert on the subject, but I do own a WWI issue example.
    Last edited by Chip M; 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for your help!
      I have just done a few more close which I hope are of help.

Thanks!
      Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X