Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Wound Badge

Hi,

I picked this one up recently but I have some questions with it. It's a brass/tombac example, measuring ~46.5 x 41.3 mm and weighing 7.7 g. It is not vaulted like my two iron examples. The hinge and main pin look spot on for an Imperial Wound Badge and both look genuinely worn.

Regarding the catch - it is very small, although the pin fits snugly into it. Has anybody seen (or own) a similar catch on an Imperial Wound Badge (Naval or otherwise)?

The finish is a bit strange - it has a firegilt effect BUT it's possible it has been refinished with a metallic gold (modelling) paint.

On the obverse (highlighted by the red arrows), you should be able to make out a buildup of "gunk" in some of the chains. The gunk is underneath the finish and appears to me metallic and hard, rather than a buildup/excess of paint (which should be soft?). This is my main concern with the badge. Obverse detail is otherwise fairly good - so is the reverse - and I think the badge is die-struck (not cast imo).

So, what do you think. Genuine, refinished or simply a repro?

All responses appreciated.

Regards
    Mike K

PS: I have Hamelman's Wound Badge Book and the measurement's of this badge are at least ball-park with his Type-I & -II badges.
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Reverse...
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hinge/Pin/Catch...
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Mike

Comment

I like the hinge but not the catch. I like the badge from the rear but not the front. Looks really like painted. However I don't really like it. The Golden Naval Woundbadge is too rare and faked too often to like an example less than 90 %, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Hi,

Jens, thanks for your response. I do know what you mean. For now, it remains a question mark and a decent filler until something I am happier with comes along.

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

Comment

could be a so called 57 issue.

A WWI GOLD issue is nearly impossible to find.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

You are pretty much correct on both counts.

I never came back to this thread but I did figure out what it is;

It's a gold "57er" (post-45) by S&L that has had the hinge and pin replaced by a genuine WW1/early 20s period hinge and pin and then repainted (some acetone at the base of the hinge confirmed lead solder). The tiny catch and the lumps of excess metal in the chains are the key indicators to it being post-45 and specifically post-45 S&L.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X