• Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the explanation .
    regards ,
    Kris .

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
      Hi Kai,

I was wholeheartly awaiting your opinion few days ago, when I posted Koch & Bergfeld cross with sidehooks here on WAF. I was thinking that you, as the founder and the only contributor to the "Study off Koch & Bergfelt" thread, would surely bother to spend a few words about such piece. I was wrong.

So, I am asking myself, why are you not ignoring me now and opening with such dishonest comment...

Surprising to see it from the man, who brought here many crazy theories, that lately appeared either as revolutionary or as totally stupid as well. This is always the risk of bringing theories, isn´t it...

Thermal expansion is quite well known effect that happens in large scale and in extremely small as well and apart from pressure it is the main reason of materials deformation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

Of course, gases and liquids has the biggest coefficient of thermal expansion, but this effect is noticeable also with solids. Mainly products with danger of linear expansion (pipes, rails, bridges) are designed with expansion joints - reserves for thermal expansion. Coefficient for iron at 20°C is 11,8. Silver has coefficient 18, which means silver expands more than iron at same temperature. Other thing, imo, is that frame with its thin and long shape (same as rail track) expands more linearily (and in other directions) than the core with its solid shape.

Naturally, iron cross is not bridge or rail that is able expand in tens of centimetres - and room temperature is not exterior, where the difference can be more than 60°C within a year. But we are speaking about tens of years and about changes not bigger than millimetres.

I quote wikipedia: "Precision engineering nearly always requires the engineer to pay attention to the thermal expansion of the product. For example when using a scanning electron microscope even small changes in temperature such as 1 degree can cause a sample to change its position relative to the focus point."

I´d say average storage temperature of Iron cross (or room temperature if you want) raised between 1914 and 2014 for at least 10°C.

Correct me, if I am wrong, I have no problem with it, but please try to change the style of discussion - there are enough problems with your phonetical english.

Best, Miro

Hy Miro ,,it was not meant sooooo badly ,,but ,,,

you have a point there ,,now that I think of it ,,,especially me should be supportive to those with a theory ,,,or a story ..
      I will try to hold on to that point from now on ,,

in you're case the theory is logic but in reality it is not happening,,(Sadly )

and a tip to you : from the man, who brought here many crazy theories, that lately appeared either as revolutionary or as totally stupid as well.

you need a thick skin to survive theory's,,to say it in phonetical English

regards kay
      Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X