BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large carved wooden "Imperial" double headed eagle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large carved wooden "Imperial" double headed eagle.

Hi All,

Not my area at all but I picked this up on a local flea market and it certainly has some age to it.

I'm thinking it could be Imperial Russian so I will also post this in the international section.

The reason I've posted it here is I'm thinking it could be from an Imperial German state.

It is 40cm high and 32cm wide, the wood is very old and dry. It is much more of a dark brown than the pictures would suggest.

I've no idea what would have been in the centre but I'm tempted to put something in the middle relivent to the piece. The holes in the centre look newer than the rest of the piece.

Any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

Joe
    Attached Files

Pic 2:
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3:
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4:
        Attached Files

Comment

I think it's Austrian rather than Russian, based on the crown.

Comment

The form of the eagle, the stylized princely crown, the fact that the claws are not holding the imperial orb and the scepter, plus those traces of red colour to the centre, are allowing me to think that it could be an Albanian royal eagle, from the short reign of the prince of Wied in 1914, or from something related to his exiled court.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
              The form of the eagle, the stylized princely crown, the fact that the claws are not holding the imperial orb and the scepter, plus those traces of red colour to the centre, are allowing me to think that it could be an Albanian royal eagle, from the short reign of the prince of Wied in 1914, or from something related to his exiled court.

Best wishes,

E.L.
              Thanks E.I, that would be very interesting to me being from such an interesting turning point for much of Imperial Europe!

Appreciate the help,

Regards,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                I think it's Austrian rather than Russian, based on the crown.
                Thank you for your opinions, much appreciated!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X