1903 Shooting Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1903 Shooting Award

Can anyone give me some information on this badge please which I believe is some sort of shooting award. I realise the crown is missing, the only other one I've seen was a 1905 example in a Juncker catalogue. I'm guessing it was worn on the upper arm?

Thanking you in advance
    Erwin

This was a shooting prize for infantry units from 1903. It was originally issued backed with a wool oval and a metal backing plate. It was worn on the upper arm. They were given out to soldiers of the best marksman company in each army corps. It was worn for one year until the next competition. It had to be given back unless won for a second time, in which case, one could permanently keep it.

Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip for that comprehensive answer, just what I wanted to know.
      With that in mind could this badge be considered scarce?

Cheers Erwin

Comment

Erwin,

These badges are desirable, but unfortunately not in this condition. With the crown removed and both cloth and backing plate missing, it is not very collectable.

Just doing some rough figuring, there were approximately 3,300 of these infantry badges given out per year (22 corps [incl. 3 Bavarian corps] x 1 company of 150 enlisted men per corps). The XX. and XXI. corps did not exist in 1903.

Chip

Comment

Thanks again Chip

I bought this in with some WW1 NZ badges so it doesn't owe me a lot and I suppose it is better than nothing.

Erwin

Comment

Here is another N.Z vet example sweated onto a German flare gun casing.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X