Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 time

Hi All,

back from a visit 'down under' and would like to share 4 1870's.

2 are issue, no maker mark but one is marked '800' and the 2 prinzens are marked I Wagner & S
    13 Loth
    and
    " J Wagner & S
    14 Lotig

Regards,
    Tim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim C; 08-02-2002, 08:21 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Thanks for sharing, Tim!

Any chance of getting a peek at the reverse of the crosses? Looks like the first piece has a double-pin assembly.
      Also: I have an example that is similar to the final issue piece you've posted.

Comment

front

Comment

reverse

prinzen is marked 'J Wagner & S 14 LÖTH' and the issue version has an .800
          stamp directly in center behind pin.

Comment

Hi Eric,

have posted in the same order as above. I like the double pin back, a nice variant and unmarked.

The single, like yours is marked '800' and the first prinzen is double marked I Wagner & S on the cross and the pin, and has the "13 Loth" mark, the second prinzen is marked " J Wagner & S 14 Lotig"

Regards,
            Tim

Comment

EXCELLENT doubles! Very nice...

Comment

Dear Tim & Eric,

A question from a non-1870-expert:

Why is the design of the crowns so totally different between the issue and the prinzen examples? This is visible on all your three pairs.

Cheers, Frank H.
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

--Wow! This thread downloads like a program, I went to the bathroom and it still wasn't finished when I got back!
                  --Anyway, I'll add to the wait by adding a few shots for reference...

Comment

A normal sized J Wagner mit Haken...

Comment

Tim,
                      I like the prinzen. Can you post a close-up of the markings on the reverse of the 4th one (lower right photo) with the single pin? There have been 1914 and 1870 copies made of this one using the core for a model. Note the oddly shaped crown, the ends of the W partially hidden under the frame? Not saying yours is a copy, but now I see where the fakers got their model. The core is so unusual.
                      Last edited by Doug See; 08-04-2002, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Please continue, these are some very nice EK's. The 1870 is getting harder to find and the prices are rising quickly. That being the case the fakes will soon arrive in force and not the shabby ones we have seen on eban. Do we know all the makers of the 1870? The Iron Time only lists four makers with different types of stamps. Do the rings of the 1870 ek2 have stamps or are they only on the EK1? Mine do not have any maker marks but the detail is excellent my 1870's are my favorite examples of the EK's.
                        Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Okay Greg, here's another

George
                          George

Comment

Here is an 1870 COPY on eScam. Note the similarity to the core of the one in the orignal photo post on this thread.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2126170902

Comment

--Yeah, George! They could be twins! {I've always liked that cross, looks like you took some better pictures, eh?}
                              --Ya beat me to it, Doug!moremad moremad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X