X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Souvillehöhe

His EK doc
    Attached Files

Souvillehöhe was a hell of a battle, the 88ir participents had a special button on their uniform as an honor. This was for the RIR81, I am not sure of the purpose...
    Attached Files

Comment

Blimey Chris,

Is that a new one?

ttfn,

David

Comment

Indeed they are, just in today.

As I said, the 88IR was given a special botton that the vets who fought at Souville could wear on their uniforms.

I cannot quite figure out the purpose of the second doc

"For the Fatheland"... normally on docs that are given to the next of kin, but in this case no place for a name... Regts name is there though.... "for the fatherland (the sacrifice of the RIR81)"?

a commemorative document for the guys who fought on the Souvillehöhe ?

Guess we need to visit it next time... we did drive past it.

Comment

Here is the Button the RIR88 was awarded

http://people.freenet.de/bero3459/rir_88.html

Comment

Badabum!!!

Here we go, just found this...

http://people.freenet.de/bero3459/bo...lle-orden.html

So the RIR81 DID have a special award or honour for the guys who took part in the assault...

Now, where does the doc fit in?

Comment

The correct name (today) is "Souvillenase" (Nez de Souville). I know it and was there last year. A lot of vegetation but you can still see the trenches of the french defenders.

Comment

Great Information

Hello guys,

I am a long time collector, but new to the forum. This is my first post. I collect everything relating to the German army 1907-1918. I was extremely happy to find this post, as it has verified something that I have suspected for some time. One of my specialties is collecting insignia and I am especially interested in unofficial pieces. In 1984 I picked up a pin at a militaria show in Gunzenhausen, Germany. It was this very pin and up until this day I had no proof that it was what I suspected, that is, a wartime manufactured piece. I have searched all these ensuing years for a period photo of someone wearing this pin in order to prove my supposition. I have had no luck until I ran across this thread and the wonderful information on the links it contained. Thanks!

I suspect that this document is the "paperwork" that came with the award. Unfortunately, it does not have a spot for the name of the winner. I am sure that they could not make the document look like an award document due to the fact that it was unofficial.

It is very interesting to see the similar motifs in the two document's artwork. Great stuff. Now, all I need to do is keep looking for that illusive photo.

All the best,
                Chip
                Last edited by Chip Minx; 11-29-2004, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X