Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austrian Pilot´s Badge, Karl type for review

Hello,

I would like to hear your opinions about this Austrian pilot´s badge.
    To me it looks like good late war badge.

Regards, Miro
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The badge just came in and it is beautiful piece of jeweller´s work.

Thanks to pm to Elmar Lang, who approved my thoughts about this badge, I was sure to obtain it.

I see there is no knowledge about these KuK pilots badges, so maybe it would be good to post some basic infos for future reference.

This is late war version of Karl Type badges with Doppelkrone (both Austrian and Hungarian crowns), which has some specific features:

- hollow rivets
      - hollow eagle, thus unmarked
      - the ribbon around the crown is not enamelled red and his ends are separate from the crown
      - "autumn" leaves (when exposed to the direct light, they glow yellow-green)
      - "Big eye" eagle

I am posting better reference photos from emedals, although this badge has one cross at the crown broken off (which is very often seen feature on these badges).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Miro O; 07-10-2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Here is earlier variant of Karl Type badge with solid rivets, ribbon around crown enamelled red, greener leaves and solid (mostly marked) eagle with smaller eye. As you see, the hardware is different as well.

Photo is taken from Italian Blitzkrieg forum, but I think this is badge and photo by Elmar Lang.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Miro O; 07-10-2013, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Here is the comparison of earlier variant of Karl Type badge (left) with widely spread Horvath fake (right). All credits again to Elmar Lang.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think Austrian KuK Pilots badges were the inspiration for Third Reich Pilots badges more than German Imperial Ones. There are some similarities that can´t be found on German Imperial badges:

- dominant eagle with wings exceeding the width of laurel wreath
            - two piece riveted construction
            - cut-out laurel wreath.

This inspiration is even more visible when you compare Austrian Observers badge and Third Reich ROAG badge.

Here is Austrian "ROAG" (not from my collection)
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting this information. These beautiful badges are truly under studied here.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi Miro!

Beautiful badges!!!

The last one isn't really a "ROAG"-badge. It was given to Observers and the men in the balloons. The correct name of the badge is "Luftfahrerabzeichen".

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Thanks Miro or this informative presention

Best regards,
                  Michel

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                    Hi Miro!

Beautiful badges!!!

The last one isn't really a "ROAG"-badge. It was given to Observers and the men in the balloons. The correct name of the badge is "Luftfahrerabzeichen".

Kind regards, Peter
                    Yes, it was only joke, that´s why I used "".

Miro

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
                      Yes, it was only joke, that´s why I used "".

Miro
                      Sorry Miro, I didn't recognize that.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                        Sorry Miro, I didn't recognize that.

Kind regards, Peter
                        No problem. Thanks all for responses.

Miro

Comment

Hello,

it's Always interesting to read discussions about Imperial Austrian orders and decorations (that are my favourite theme).

Just to give a little, further information, the "Luftfahrerabzeichen" illustrated in post nr. 6, is also a copy made by messrs. Horvath of Budapest...

It is perhaps the best of their series of copies.

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                            Hello,

it's Always interesting to read discussions about Imperial Austrian orders and decorations (that are my favourite theme).

Just to give a little, further information, the "Luftfahrerabzeichen" illustrated in post nr. 6, is also a copy made by messrs. Horvath of Budapest...

It is perhaps the best of their series of copies.

E.L.
                            Thanks for response, Elmar. Fortunately, this "Luftfahrerabzeichen" is not in my collection.

Would you be so kind and post photos of original badge for future reference?

Thanks in advance, Miro

Comment

Hello,

unfortunately, I haven't my original Luftfahrerabzeichen anymore: it went away some years ago, with other pieces, when I did a strong effort in order to obtain an order, then missing in my collection. Now, I have two "archive pieces" only, in other words the Horvath copy and a fine, post-1918 piece, made by Rothe & Neffe.

A friend of mine has a good, original Zimbler piece and it seems he would agree to sell it. If this would happen, I will have a piece to take the place that's now empty...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X