Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea what these unit bars are?

Hey gang!

I picked these up in a large group... I can't say I've seen anything like these before. I understand that they identify a specific unit... but what were they used for?

Anyone know what they are or would have been used for?

thanks!
    Attached Files

They are for so-called regimental crosses, unofficial veteran's awards. Search for "treu dem regiment". Although unofficial, these crosses and bars are highly collectable and have some value. Nice find!

Units are:
    Schleswig-Holstein Fuesilier Regiment no. 86
    2. Magdeburgisches Infanterie-Regiment no. 27
    3. Hessisches Infanterie-regiment no. 83

Comment

These are different from the "Treu dem Regiment" REK (Regiments-Erinnerungs-Kreuz) unit bars. The REK bars don't have squared off ends. Normally, this type of bar is seen one at a time, mounted on this type ribbon with a branch device below. So, for infantry - crossed rifles, artillery - crossed cannons, cavalry - crossed swords. Here are examples of the REK versus the type you have shown.

Last edited by Chip M; 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Chip, thanks for pointing this out. I was thinking these bars are a variation of the ones you showed. What are Dutchman's bars then?

Comment

Hi Valter,

We know the name of the REK because there was a document that went with it (a very nice looking one). Before 1934 you could see them on medal bars.

This other one has no name that I know of. Perhaps someone else can help with that. I think the ones Dutchman has could just be bought by veterans and there was no paperwork involved. I have seen this type with more than one bar, but that was the exception. This is the first that I have seen with three and the units are so unrelated that it is hard to imagine that one person could have served in all three.

As you say, the bars have value in and of themselves and could be used to replace another bar on a ribbon to make an example from a favorite regiment.

Regards,
          Chip

Comment

Thanks for explaining Chip!
            As they are so unrelated, they are probably put on this "bar" by (early) collector? Or salesman's sample board?

Comment

Originally posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
              As they are so unrelated, they are probably put on this "bar" by (early) collector? Or salesman's sample board?
              Valter,

I suspect the answer is something like that.

This type normally had a medal hanging from the bottom as you see in the picture I posted. There was a Prussian type medal with and eagle and there was a Bavarian one as well. I have not seen any of the medals from other states, though they may well exist.

You often find them without a medal (though the clip is still on the back of the ribbon) or the wrong medal, and the REK is the most common replacement (but it is not the correct medal). I own two of these, shown here. Neither came to me with the medal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X