Opinion on German American Bund Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on German American Bund Flag

I would like to hear your opinion on the period originality of this Deutscher Unterstützungs Bund flag and ask if someone knows if this particular organization was involved in aid programs to the Vaterland during the first years of WWI, like its counterpart DHG in New York with Gold for Iron program overseen by Henry Mielke.
    This organization still exists in PA, but not longer in Reading.
    From Google, GBU Financial Life (GBU) was founded as an ethnic German fraternal organization on April 13, 1892, by German immigrants who settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Originally named the Deutscher Unterstuetzungs-Bund or German Beneficial Union, the purpose of the society was to provide financial security, fraternalism and social activities to its members. Today, GBU has evolved into a fraternal benefit society that accepts members from all ethnic backgrounds, while providing a wide variety of life insurance plans, annuities and fraternal benefits to its members.
    Thank you for your time and honest opinion
    Vellocino

The flag is double sided and is 70 in X 59 inches in size.

Comment

Here it is an example of a medal/token given to those who supported for the relief of widows and orphans in Germany.
      No group or organization is labeled on the token.

Comment

Imo ...

Originally posted by vellocino View Post
        I would like to hear your opinion on the period
        originality of this ...
        Vellocino
        Hello vellocino:
        Interesting flag, IMO post WW2 era based on
        use of twist fringe, rather than knotted fringe.

OFW
        (below) pre-circa 1943 US knotted fringe example.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by oldflagswanted; 05-23-2013, 04:06 AM.
        sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Interesting the notion about the fringe type to date it.
          I thought all of the german aid societes disbanded once USA entered the conflict not to show unpatriotism to their new country.
          Here at some closeups to the fringe for you to review, are they common sight or seldom seen? Your opinion is totally welcome since I have no experience with old flags.

A closeup of the stich on the date
          Sincerely appreciate your help.

Comment

Dont they have a big octoberfest in pennsylvania?

There is plenty of room for German associations that have absolutely nothing to do with any war or military.

This may be of interest...

http://www.rochestergerman.com/gbu/

It still exists today..... A bit like a rotary club...

Comment

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.de/2...on-no-723.html

Comment

Even though the possibility might exist that this special organization has nothing to do with the war effort, the notion that this particular district was founded on 1902 and possible very active by 1914 and focused on helping german immigrants could led to the assumption that such fundraising events might have taken place under its patronage to help the fatherland.
                This is just a speculative opinion but in lack of info I will contact the existing GBU organization directly to obtain answers.
                Thank you all for your opinions.
                Relevant or not I found interesting the history behind this flag about the passionate involvement of german american societies to help those german families who came to the USA.
                Vellocino
                PS. Thank you Chris for the links I already saved them for reference. Thank you for your time.
                Last edited by vellocino; 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM. Reason: Appreciation

Comment

Very Nice

Certainly an interesting bit of Americana. Whether they stayed in or out of the politics of the time (30's - 40's) I'm sure J. Edgar had his minions watch over them like a Hawk. Thanks for letting us view this unique piece.

Comment

I came across with evidence to support my first assumption that GBU and its district in Reading PA, were involved in the war effort.
                    First it states the this district was indeed stablished in July 1902.
                    His first representative was CHRIST. ORTMUELLER, later Ortmiller
                    Supreme Repraesentant, Mitgruender und Sekretaer Dist. Reading, Pa.
                    That this flag is called a Circuit or Union Flag granted to a district who has reached a milestone in membership additions.

In 1914 they were full aware of the war raging in Europe:
                    "The war fury kindled in the old Fatherland cast its shadow over to us and checked for a while our eager, peaceful striving and struggling in a business and a social sense. No wonder, for it was a world conflagration that developed in old Europe. England, Russia and France against Germany and Austria-Hungary! A war of annihilation against our beloved old Fatherland. It was hardly credible, but the terrible reality was there, and in anxious suspense we must watch to which side the scale of justice will turn".
                    "...let us be up and doing in the peaceful struggle to strengthen the ranks of German fraternalism and to vigorously counter-balance the threatening antipathy of the Anglo-American element against the Germans in this country".

Then in 1915:
                    "The year 1915 should by all means have been a banner year, if the war and thoughts of war had not been constantly in the foreground. The successes of the German-Austrian- Hungarian arms helped in a measure, that there was no relaxation in the good will for propaganda"
                    "The propraganda for the Union took its uninterrupted course. The Pittsburgh Circuits made a master-stroke with a joint summer festival, which was given on August 17 at the "Schuetzenpark" near Millvale. All the Supreme Officers, under the leadership of Manager A. F. Wedemej^er, were represented in the General Committee and helped to make it a tremendous success. The net balance of $150.00 was turned over to the war sufferers in Germany and Austro-Hungary".

Then in 1916:
                    "..the same Circuits and cities would have to be mentioned that held their propaganda festivals as in the previous year. Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus, Reading, Baltimore at the head. Especially the Philadelphia Circuit came to the front in a prominent manner. It gave a magnificent festival on July 2 in the "Schuetzenpark." Rev. S. G. Bosse, of Wilmington. Del., was the first orator. The second speaker was Mr. Joseph Schlanz, the President of the Philadelphia Bazar Committee. Then Mr. F. W. Hausmann stepped on the stage and presented to the President of the festival, Karl Kempter, the picture of the German hero, Weddingen, put into a fine frame, as prize for the organization most strongly represented at the Bazar for the benefit of the German-Austro-Hungarian Relief Fund".
                    "...District No. 56, in New Castle, Pa., has won another crown of laurel by a vintage festival which was celebrated on October 14 in magnificent manner. The amount of $114.46 was transmitted to the fund for German-Austro-Hungarian war sufferers".

The report ends in 1916, in 1917 USA entered the conflict.

This at my point of view makes indisputable proof the such organization was involved in proselytism and contribution to the German war effort during the first years of the war, but make it patent their love to their adopted homeland.
                    I just wanted to share this with you since it is such a meaningful find for me, an historical piece that summons the political situation, courage and the generosity displayed by german-americans towards his people back at the Vaterland during die Große zeit.
                    Thanks for joining this small journey with me.
                    You can read the full report at;
                    http://www.archive.org/stream/german...0volz_djvu.txt
                    Thank you
                    Vellocino

Comment

Hi,

as the organisation existed post WW2, and according to oldflagswanted the style is also post WW2... it could very well be that they collected for germany 14-18... but this flag was a few decades later?

As such there would not really be a WW1 connection?

Comment

The importance of the finding is to have been able to identify GBU as a German-American asso ciation engaged in supporting activities in favor of Germany during the first years of WWI, along with others institutions as the DHG based on NY, or German aid societies in Chicago.
                        The flag being post 1945 in manufacture is only that, now it rest to find out when the Reading district ceased to exist to have an idea of the age period.

It is personally important since I study and collect "gold gab ich fur eisen" program items and related contribution efforts both in Germany and the USA.
                        I appreciate your time and your opinion regarding this.
                        Thank you,
                        Vellocino

Comment

For those still interested, I found 2 old pictures depicting DUB flags, although all 3 are contrasting different in style.

And that the original logo of the organization greatly resembles of the iron cross and that some of its members were probably veterans of the Franco-Prussian War.

Moderator feel free to delete this thread if there is not interest or leave it as reference.
                          Thank you,
                          Vellocino

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X