Nice document display!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice document display!

This is my favorite find at this past weekend's WCHMCS in Pomona, CA.

This is a framed "Ehrenkreuz fur Frontkampfer" document with the cross mounted, along with the recipient's ribbon bar. The frame was made post-WWII in California (a sticker on the back of the frame is from a California framing business, probably done pre-1960 due to the lack of a ZIP code in the address.

Of course, there is no proof that the ribbon bar belongs to the document holder, but in my opinion it matches up. But here's what I think this ribbon bars tells us: This man served in an Oldenburg regiment (the Hindy document was signed in Hamburg, which isn't very far from Oldenburg - he was from Oldenburg originally and moved to Hamburg after the war). He fought on the eastern front against Russia and alongside Bulgarian troops. After the war he was in the Freikorps and earned the Silesian eagle.

Ribbon Bar: EK2 1914, Hindy Cross, Silesian Eagle, Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 2nd Class, UNKNOWN (to me) , Bulgarian commemorative medal 1915-1918.

Can anyone please tell me what the 5th ribbon is? I think it might be an Austro-Hungarian award, but I was unable to find anything on the internet that matches the ribbon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jt327gir; 05-14-2013, 01:50 AM.

Nice find, You are right about the 5th ribbon it is the "Austro-Hungarian WW1 service medal

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT G View Post
      Nice find, You are right about the 5th ribbon it is the "Austro-Hungarian WW1 service medal
      Sorry, but this award has NOTHING to do with Austria, it is only the Hungarian WWI commemorative medal for fighters. The swords on the ribbon are wrong, because the ribbon for non-fighters was another one. Don't worry, this was an often made mistake.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

For Your information: this is the Austrian commemorative medal for WWI...
        Attached Files

Comment

And these are the Hungarian medals:
          a) for fighters
          b) for non-fighters
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your correction Peter, I was only going by previous info supplied to me regarding this award.

Comment

Very nice vintage display!

One comment about the history of the recipient: We can't wheter say he fought on eastern front or not. Hungarian and Bulgarian commemorative medals were given (sold) years after WW1 to any veteran of former Bulgarian / Hungarian allies, regardless where they served. And Bulgarian troops didin't fight against Russians on Eastern front, but on Balkan/Solun front against Serbs, Britons and French. Service in Silesia is however a clue of former eastern front fighter, but not a solid proof. Many ex-servicemen who fought on different fronts joined volunteer troops in Silesian wars.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies! I have learned a lot from you all about this neat ribbon bar.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X