• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identify this cross pls

As always thanks for your help:
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Mecklenburg Strelitz 1st class, and a rare and desirable beast! Are there any markings? 1st of It does appear to be a Godet piece and the case is a beauty. Given in small numbers. A war time example I do believe, silver plated?

Lovely!!

Comment

Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Kreuz 1. Klasse für Auszeichnung im Kriege, FÜR TAPFERKEIT, 1914 (1915-1917)

Generally referred to as the War Merit Cross 1st Class (in English) although this one would be for bravery.

This one appears to be the first issue in silver, which is extremely rare. But, actually, all versions are quite rare.

Although the box has the correct cypher on top, it's confusing because judging from the hardware, it looks like the cross was made by Zimmermann, Pforzheim, not Godet.

But, there are others here who probably know a lot more about it and can fill in the details.
      Last edited by Brian L.; 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I understood Godet made all the war time examples Bolewts? Though I also understand these were all pin backs?

A lovely piece anyway!

Comment

Well, my jaw just dropped! Nice to see such a lovely combo early in the morning!

Great cross, great case but imo the cross is not a Godet - at least it does not have the classic Godet zweihaken or wide main pin.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            Great cross, great case but imo the cross is not a Godet - at least it does not have the classic Godet zweihaken or wide main pin.
            I agree, I agree, and I agree
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
              I agree, I agree, and I agree
              So was I correct in assuming it was a Zimmermann based on the tell-tale notch in the pin?

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                So was I correct in assuming it was a Zimmermann based on the tell-tale notch in the pin?
                That I don't know. I am pretty knowledgeable about Godet, but not so much about Zimmermann. Although I do know they are supposed to have used those notched pins, I think others did as well (see for examples the Reuss KVKs posted recently).

Paul: does the case have inlets for the side hooks?
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                  I agree, I would also say this is a Zimmermann. The question is
                  why it has the hooks.

regards kai

Comment

Originally posted by gen_key View Post
                    I agree, I would also say this is a Zimmermann. The question is
                    why it has the hooks.

regards kai
                    I agree with Trevor in that I think other maker's also used notched pins, so I wouldn't say 100% Zimmermann - but they'd be my first guess!

Re the Zweihaken, these look like a professional post-production addition. I've seen similar thin gauge wire hooks on EK1s.

Regards
                    Mike
                    Regards
                    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X