Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Manfred von Richthofen

Hello folks,
    95 years ago today Manfred von Richthofen was killed in action by Australian ground forces. Let us remember all who died in the Great War.

Jody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMwVkYsxiM
    Attached Files

Thanks Jody.
    I've always been amazed when watching this video of the level
    of respect paid to Richtofen by the Australians .

Comment

Comment

A Salute To Richthofen!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen will always remain my favorite WWI war hero! Also red is my favorite color;thus the legend of the Red Baron and his red Fokker Dr.1 triplane lives on into the 21st century!

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Comment

The reality of these events is often clouded by almost 100 years of telling and re telling. The fact of the matter is that MvR was a very young man in his 20s caught up in a ghastly slaughter...on the ground and in the air. At the time of his death, he was racked by the results of a massive head wound which had nearly taken his life, and had left him significantly debilitated. Today we would call this Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and it is insidious. Given his operational experiences, he was also no doubt suffering from what today would be called PTSD. The descriptions of him prior to his death seem to indicate this, and his actions in the air on the day he died seem to show that he wasn't quite himself. He probably should have been taken off line at some point, but for many reasons I'm sure this wasn't possible...RIP brother

Comment

i dont know what you guys think about it but have any of you watched the movie the red baron i loved the movie!!! he was a true hero and one of the worlds leading aces i would be scarred to think his ace status if he had lived into ww2 he would have taken down a lot more bombers !!

Comment

On Facebook user profile you can add 'People who inspire you'. I have Manfred von Richthoven as one of mine. Ever since I was a boy I have been inspired by his life and his flying exploits.

The greatest fighter pilot of all time and a true hero.

Comment

Rip

Hi Guys,
                When I started this thread it was simply about the 95 anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen. There is no hero worship. As a history teacher, dates stick out to me. For example yesterday was V-E Day. I for one don't defend Germany in the 1st World War and especially in the Second World War.

Regards,
                Jody

Comment

I've deleted the off topic posts. If you want to talk about who started the war, the causes of the war, the end of the war etc... start a thread on that subject.

As for the good Baron, his enemies, the ones who killed him, buried him with full military honors as a respected foe, a hero. Since they were there that is good enough for me.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Luftm40 View Post
                    The reality of these events is often clouded by almost 100 years of telling and re telling. The fact of the matter is that MvR was a very young man in his 20s caught up in a ghastly slaughter...on the ground and in the air. At the time of his death, he was racked by the results of a massive head wound which had nearly taken his life, and had left him significantly debilitated. Today we would call this Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and it is insidious. Given his operational experiences, he was also no doubt suffering from what today would be called PTSD. The descriptions of him prior to his death seem to indicate this, and his actions in the air on the day he died seem to show that he wasn't quite himself. He probably should have been taken off line at some point, but for many reasons I'm sure this wasn't possible...RIP brother
                    Actually, Von Richtofen was offered a staff position at one point, but turned it down because he felt it would be unfair if he got away from the front while so many in the trenches couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                      Actually, Von Richtofen was offered a staff position at one point, but turned it down because he felt it would be unfair if he got away from the front while so many in the trenches couldn't.
                      Yes...this is what I mean. His status, celebrity and sense of duty would have made it difficult for him to voluntarily step down. His superiors would have had to force the issue....sad that they didn't.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X