Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EKII - another one...

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a grip on what's good and what's bad as far as these 1870 EK2's go and whilst I'm yet to see a pic of a "muffin crown" example, I'll assume they have crowns that look like a muffin (blueberry?) and this isn't one of them.
    But is this one a good one?
    Personally, I reckon the "Funky 7" type as I showed in my earlier thread is 100% fine based on the evidence supplied.
    Am I correct in assuming that the ones with the crossover 8 are most likely ones produced for the jubilee or later - or are the differences (crossover and not crossed over) purely due to the casting method?

Many, many thanks for the all the info so far!

What's the ring say? S & W?

Comment

I am unsure, I've asked for clarification on this. I didn't notice the stamping on the ring until after I made the first posting. I've enlarged the pic I have and it could be "8oo" with the "oo" being half the height of the "8". To me this doesn't give cause for great confidence and in any case wouldn't this indicate a cross produced around 1914?

Comment

Most likely a cross produced somewhere in the general timeframe of WW1 (maybe 1910 to 1930 or so). That's not so bad, but some German jewelers continued to sell 1870 Iron Crosses well after WW2. If you're looking for an early piece, or at least one made in the 19th Century, this isn't it, in my opinion.

Tim
        "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X