Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like an asterisk

Comment

I always thought that the asterisk or star mark is normally found on Austrian made pieces to denote war time manufacturer. I have seen similar markings on FJ Cross rings and the pins of higher Austrian awards. I finally found a War Service Cross for my collection. Took it to a family jeweler to secure one of the pin that holds the cipher disk in place. He was very amazed with the craftsmanship of the award

Comment

Yes,

I've not seen another with such a mark. I think all issue crosses bore no maker marks and I'm not sure this mark has any significance and wonder if this is an issue cross or purchase piece. This is why I seek opinions from others. From research I have learned most believe crosses that have maker marks are post war awards. I'm not sure if this is true.

Wartime crosses are silver for the earliest awards and silvered tombac for the rest. I would like to see yours.

It would be nice to build a database. I have noticed there are variations in construction. The most noticeable are the methods for securing the wreaths

Comment

Mark
          Attached Files

Comment

Hing
            Attached Files

Comment

Trevor started a great thread on these back in 13 with detailed pictures of his cross, both sides. I picked up mine at this time as well and posted pictures of both sides. Not as well as Trevor, but one thing you can see from both his and mine, is a fact that the jeweler pointed out to me. Each cross arm is individually attached to the center. Then there is the addition of the laurel leave springs that are also individually attached. Mine also has a different style # 4 than his or the one you show. So there had to be more than just one jeweler who made these in Hanau. Here is the link:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=669187

Do you also have a Wilhelm Ernst Kriegs Kreuz? Another of my favorites

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X