WW1 Observers Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Observers Badge

What do you guys think of this one, is it any good?
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Looks like...

... a ca. 1930's re-do of this badge. The real characteristic is the color of the enamel, with the 3D background behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stogieman
      ... a ca. 1930's re-do of this badge. The real characteristic is the color of the enamel, with the 3D background behind it.
      On a stamped badge Rick? Could this just be a poor photo? I was not aware the stamped badges were made after 1918, I associate stamped badges as being wartime issued.

Comment

That is correct!

You could buy these badges well into the 30's, although I do not know the maker. I've seen reference/catalogue details, but have nothing concrete to offer beyond that.
        Personally, I prefer to deal with strictly pre-1918 stuff... That way there's no need to ever explain, apologize or defend a piece. It is, what it is!

Comment

Thanks Rick.

So no makers mark is correct on these later issues, I was wondering about it no being marked. What's the value on a later piece like this?
          Regards,
          Chris

Comment

I believe.....

........ these can be had in Germany for 350-450- Euro, depending on the Seller. Someone got into a box of them as there's been none around forever and suddenly all the major dealers had one in a relatively short period of time. They are not an easy sell from what I see because of era... The frost and (IMO) somewhat artificial look of the enamel works against these pieces, but hey, we've already established my prejudice when it comes to badges like this!

Comment

Detlev sold one just like this a while back, but I don't remember the price. I would say maybe $250, but it depends on the personal likes and dislikes of the buyer (see Stogieman's comments above).

Hollow back pieces were very rarely maker marked. In the early days of Ebay, I saw one with a J.F. Werner mark on it, and it sold for something like $175. I have never seen another one like it, and I still wish I had bought it.

Tim
              "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen,

I think I'm going to pass on this one & wait for a reasonably priced earlier one to come along. That is if thre is such a thing as reasonably priced anymore!
                Regards,
                Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X