Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermann Martin Ernst Lange, IR 55

Hello,

Could anyone give me any information about this man?

He is the father of Major Max Lange, Ritter des Ordens Pour le Mérite and was probably born around 1849. Hermann was at the time of his marriage with Emmy Marie Adelheid Aprath Secondelieutenant im IR 55 and fell according to a dubious source in 1914 near Verdun... Hermanns father was from Cötchen (Sachsen-Anhalt).

Regards,
    Jan

Lange is not really a uncommon name.I will see if I can find him.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Jan,

The Offizier-Stammliste des Inf. R. 55 has the following information about Hermann Lange: Born 13. March 1848 in Brüel (Mecklenburg-Schwerin)

Entered the Army (Ersatz Batl./IR 55) on 02 Jul 1866 as a private. Sek.Lt. 08.02.1868. Fought in the 1870/71 War, attended the Kriegsakadenie 1878-1881, Company commander 1882-1891, transfered to Inf. R. 21 as a Batl. Commander 17.07.1893-1895, then assigned as Landwehrbezirks-Kommandeur Osterode in Ostpreußen (1895-1898), then as Landw. Bez. Kom. Stendal (1898-1901).

His father is listed as Ernst Lange, Telegraphendirektor, and former captain in the 2. Ingenieurinspektion.

The Ehrenrangliste (p. 713) lists Lange as wounded at Marchéville on 12.11.1914 and dying on 15.11.1914 in Metz. His position is given as commader of Landsturn Ersatz Batl. 1 Stendal.

Andy

Comment

Hello Andy,

Great! So he was Oberstlt. z.D. Lange from LIR 17? According to the Ehrenmal des preußischen Offizier-Korps he died 17.11.1914?

Regards,

Jan

Comment

Jan,

In the 1894 Ranklist, Lange shows up as a Major with the following decorations:

Iron Cross 2nd class
          Red Eagle Order 4th class
          Lippe, House Order Honor Cross 3rd class
          25 years long service cross

Comment

Thanks to you too, John.

If anyone should find anything more, you may always let me know.

Regards,
            Jan

Comment

Lange

Jan,

He was promoted to the Charakter rank of Oberstleutnant on the 18th of January 1898 and retired on the 18th of October 1901 with permission to wear the uniform of I.R. 55.

Regards
              Glenn

Comment

Hi Jan,
                Easier as I thought and the others were even faster; here my info partly already upgraded by Glenn:
                Hermann K. Lange was born in Bruel (wherever that is!) 13.03.1848. He served looong years in IR 55, 1900 we find him as LtCol and Cdr Landwehrbezirk Stendal. Retired in 1901, in 1908 he lived in Munich, was decorated with EK2 70, Red Eagle 4, Crown Order 3, XXV, 1870 war medal, Centenary medal , Lippe Honor cross 2<SUP>nd</SUP> class. He was recalled for WW1 as Cdr Landsturmersatzbataillon No.I Stendal, was wounded 12.11.1914 near Marcheville and died from this 3 days later in Metz.
                “Max” Lange can only be Rudolf Lange, in 1914 Hptm and Cdr 4<SUP>th</SUP> Coy IR 55, later BtnCdr in ResInfRgt 237, who earned the plm 21.07.1918, wounded 19.07.1918 near Albert and died 09.09.1918 in Bonn. Additional he had the Lippe Detmold Honor Cross 4<SUP>th</SUP> class from the peacetime and added in the war the EK´s, a Hohenzollern knight with swords and the plm.

Both served in the same Regiment, IR 55, what is not uncommon. This Regiment was from Westfalia and the honorary Chef of the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> Btn was the Prince of Lippe, that explains Hermanns and Rudolfs Lippe Honor crosses.

<O</O
                Tragic story….father and son died in the same war.

I could not find Hermanns Father; he might be too old for my sources. BTW, Cötchen is Cöthen.

<O</O
                Best regards

Daniel<O</O

Comment

Thanks all for the extensive answers!

Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X