Machine Gun Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Gun Photo

I bought this photo from a curio shop over Thanksgiving. What is going on here? Who are these guys and why are they associating with each other? I see some French guys, some German guys... any guesses appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

My first thought was they are the cast of an early war movie from either the war period itself, or early 20s. There were actually quite a number of contemporary war movies made.

Anyway...just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Interesting idea but it's not a movie thing -- I pulled it out of a personal photo album full of real war snapshots. Any other thoughts?
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

Hi Streptile, I can't see any German uniforms - so my guess would be that they are all French and show off their loot (towards the end / after armistice?), and some French soldiers have opted to wear the German M18 for fun.
        Cheers
        Thorsten

Comment

I'm definitely not an expert on Imperial uniforms, but to me they look more like French soldiers wearing and displaying captured German items. Some of the uniforms look more French than German with the addition of German helmets, but I could be wrong. All of them are wearing the same footwear except one has leather leggings. Maybe someone in the Imperial uniform section could give a better answer.
          Dale

PS I see Thorsten posted his reply as I was writing mine, so maybe my guess was right.

Comment

I would agree with the looted items theory. Looks like a German 1894 flare pistol that the Frenchman on the right has....check it out.
            An interesting photo

Comment

Hello
              Nice picture . All guys on the picture are french soldats . On the center two French Offizier .
              Mathieu

Comment

Too bad the plaque hanging on the center group of rifles wasn't clearer might shed some light on the grouping

Comment

The writing on the plaque is German " Tagesposten 8 " - day guard post 8

Gerdan

Comment

I liked my movie idea.

But, besides the French uniforms that I now see, as others do, the "Germans" have French canteens.

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Nice picture. The medals are the medaille militaire on the left and the croix du guerre with what looks like a palm leaf. So he is highly decorated...

Best regards,
                      Michel

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleun View Post
                        Hi Streptile, I can't see any German uniforms - so my guess would be that they are all French and show off their loot (towards the end / after armistice?), and some French soldiers have opted to wear the German M18 for fun.
                        Cheers
                        Thorsten
                        A-ha! This makes perfect sense. Thanks very much for the information and for solving the puzzle.

Thanks to everyone for the information on rank, uniforms and decorations. All great to know.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

The signpost is also a captured German item. I'm not seeing any officers in the photo. The guy with the medals is an NCO. It looks like it is taken outside of a French barracks.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X