8 place Saxe Ernestine House Order Medal Bar just picked up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 place Saxe Ernestine House Order Medal Bar just picked up

Just picked this bar up today, wonder of the guy was a navel officer?
    Attached Files

pic 3

pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting placement of the Ernestine Order without swords. I would expect to see it after the Honour Cross. Has it been added? The ribbon mount is different from the rest.

What makes you think this is a Naval medal bar?

Kind regards
      Pierce

Comment

medal bar

From where i got it im sure it was not screwed around with, but you are right the ribbon is folded over different? Intresting, i thought navel bars were worn sometimes backwards like a frack bar? Why would the order be behind a hindenburg cross? I would think it would be worn next to the iron cross?

Comment

Originally posted by NBolinger View Post
          Intresting, i thought navel bars were worn sometimes backwards like a frack bar?

Why would the order be behind a hindenburg cross? I would think it would be worn next to the iron cross?
          Hi

This is a common myth. Anyone who could afford one could have a frackspange.

As a non-combatant order (w/o swords) it should be mounted after the Honour Cross.
          It could be a period mistake or maybe a restoration with the wrong decoration. All the other medals are sewn down at the jump ring, the Ernestine Order is not.

Kind regards
          Pierce

Comment

The Saxe Ernestine House Order is almost certainly supposed to be a model with Swords.

The order of precedence for a Frackspange is right-to-left. The Iron Cross is first. Since the SEHO is next, and before the Honor Cross for Combatants, it is a war award. So it should be with swords.

Basic rule of precedence: Iron Cross, other war decorations, Honor Cross for Combatants, peacetime awards, foreign awards.

For what it's worth, even with that basic rule and even if you substitute a SEHO with Swords for the peacetime version, the precedence is still off. The Prussian Merit Cross for War Aid, here in fifth place after the Prussian Crown Order, was a war decoration, so it should be before the Honor Cross for Combatants. This was a rule often ignored in the post-WW1 era, though. The Merit Cross for War Aid, as a homefront award, was not as well regarded by many veterans as combatant awards were.

It is probably not a naval officer. A naval officer with enough service from at least 1897 to get the KO4, DA and Centenary would probably be more senior and have an Ernestine Knight 1st Class with Swords and possibly other state awards. More likely, with that amount of service, but junior enough to get a Knight 2nd Class with Swords, and also a Prussian War Aid Cross, probably a Beamter in an Intendantur position. Intendantur officials often got these combinations of combatant and homefront awards.

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys for your help on the bar. Ive taken a better look at it and it seems to be one bar , i dont see other holes i the court mounted ribbons where they would of been sewn to another bar at one time. Thanks again for your time!

Comment

Comment

Very nice bar to a long serving officer. As regards to the non-combatant DSWA medal, was that awarded to naval personal ferrying troops to Africa, or where they also given the combatant version?

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X