Elgibility for the China Denkmünze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgibility for the China Denkmünze?

Was this award strictly for the relief expeditions sent in during the Boxer Rebellion, or was it more of a generalized "campaign" medal? What I'm getting at:

- Would the German forces already in place at the time of the Rebellion be eligible?

- Would civilians who aided in the defense be eligible in any circumstances?

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Research
      There were certainly civilians and civil servants (postal etc) involved not only in China, but in FIGHTING (siege of Peking, Tientsin etc) but I have never seen documentation as to what sort of medal they got.
      Is the question more whether or not they would have been elgible for the medal at all, or which version of it they would have received? (Namely those involved in the fighting.)

Comment

I would hazard to guess that after seeing many combinations of medal bars and knowing how detailed the preWW1 documentation for awards was-- the civilians that actually fought would have been awarded the combatant's version. It is a relatively rare award and wasn't given out right away.

Comment

Remember much of the China involvement were 'expeditions'. As such, there would have been involvement and risk and I would think whether you carried a sword, gun or the reins to the beasts pulling a wagon, you would be eligible. These expeditions were through mountains and hostile country. We think mostly of the Peking fighting probably because of the movie, but soldiers from foreign countries were in several locales.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
            Remember much of the China involvement were 'expeditions'. As such, there would have been involvement and risk and I would think whether you carried a sword, gun or the reins to the beasts pulling a wagon, you would be eligible. These expeditions were through mountains and hostile country. We think mostly of the Peking fighting probably because of the movie, but soldiers from foreign countries were in several locales.
            It's not clicking... Which movie?

I was reading the Osprey book on the Boxer Rebellion, which is (I hate to say it) about all the literature I've read on the subject.

Comment

55 Days at Peking with C. Heston, 1963.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X