1870 Ekii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 Ekii

What do you guys think of this one. I dont like the frame, it does not look to have aged along with the rest of the piece, but I am not really sure, just wanted some other opinions on this one.

<!-- / message -->
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Here is another shot.

Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Comment

Here is the reverse
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

Well the pictures aren't much to go on, but I think it looks an awful lot like pieces that were being sold as repros a few years ago and are now starting to show up with a little age added, being re-sold as originals.

Can you get better photos?

Tim
        "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Hi Tim...

This is mine, which I thought was a match (thin W, etc...) so naturally VERY interested in the 'repro' comment.

Anything more you can add about that...?

Cheers

Marshall

Comment

Sorry, this is an ebay item, so these are the only pics available. When I looked at this one, it struck me as a piece that has been put together using a 1914 frame with an aged repro 1870 core, but I am not sure.
            All the best,
            Chris

Comment

Biro, if you have matched yours to an example on a medal bar you should have no repro questions. For me that is the one and only test. Condition is irrelevant. Look at the ribbons on these early crosses. The white paint flakes off. Who cares? I'd rather have the original on the original bar than a later cross.

Comment

Hi Brian...

This is the closest I have come to a medal bar match.....a Baden bar....but the frame looks significantly wider than mine. Maybe you can help me with this...are they a match purely on core style.. or do we need exact like for like??

Cheers

Marshall...

Comment

An exact match! I think if you look you'll find one.

Comment

Here is the fake I was referring to. This piece was sold at Berliner Auktionhaus fur Geschichte about five or six years ago AS A COPY. Their catalog description said it was 39mm (width and height I suppose) and weighed 20 grams. To my eye, this piece is nearly identical to the one EKman posted - narrow lines on the "W", rounded-off corners, frame overlapping the "W" at the lower left, and the rather weak definition of the numbers. Without examining both peices up close, it would naturally not be possible to determine if they are the same, but if you're buying based on photos, then you have to draw your conclusions based on photos.

Last edited by Tim Tezer; 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM.
                    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

New rust

Comment

Look at the 1813 of the cross Tim posted. This is a great photo to have of a copy!!!

Look at the second 1 in the 1813, it droops. I'll remember this one as the droopy one 1870 fake.
                        Attached Files

Comment

closer details
                          Attached Files

Comment

Look at the second 1 in the 1813, it droops. I'll remember this one as the droopy one 1870 fake.
                            Yes... the "droopy-one-roundy-corner-narrow-W" fake.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tezer
                              Yes... the "droopy-one-roundy-corner-narrow-W" fake.

Tim
                              Easy with the humour now boys .....I just matched it 100% to mine

Tim - thanks for posting this.... how definite are you on the wording of the catalogues reference to 'COPY'.... and what weight would their description hold ( I don't know them)

I'm in the unfortunate predicament where I can't go back to claim my 'life-time' money back guarantee from the dealer based on the word of one forum member, however I am inclined to agree with you. This one has niggled me for some time, but I don't have the experience - and if the catalogue is five years old, I haven't a hope of obtaining a copy.....

Mine does, however, measure 43 X 43 (not 39mm) and it dosen't look noticeably bigger than the one you posted but the cores are IDENTICAL.

And what of the match to the Baden Bar?.....maybe not such a safe X-reference.....??

HELP?

Marshall
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Biro; 09-01-2004, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X