Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 1870 EK 1st and 2nd

Hello All,

I have made contact with a collector in Germany who has collected Imperial medals/orders for 25 years.....

He currently has an 1870 1st and 2nd for sale....... I have no interest in the 1st class so I will pass his name and e-mail to any interested parties.... his price for the 1st class is 2000 Eur.....

I would like to get the groups opinions for the 2nd class... as this is the one I need.....

I will post all the pics I have.. of the 1st and 2nd....

Please let me know your opinions...

Cheers
    Mark
    Attached Files

The 1st class is NOT marked...... and there is a crack in the core (you can see it in the top arm)
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the 2nd class with 25 year device
        Attached Files

Comment

reverse of IC
          Attached Files

Comment

reverse of 25 year device... I was a little concerned over the thin pins.. I would have expected the wide flat pins on the reverse...... Did they make both ??
            Attached Files

Comment

Backside of the device
              Attached Files

Comment

And last.. is the front of the device (though not a great shot)

Comment

I am really interseted to here the feedback on this one. I am definately no expert and have not been collecting these as long as most but here goes.

IMO I do not like the EK1. It has no patina at all, the paint is way too good and I don't care for the pebbled texture to the core. Like I said, I might be WAY off base with this but I would stay away from this one unless someone with alot more knowledge and expertice comes forward to give it the On the other hand, I think I like the EK2.

Greg

Comment

That EK1 is definately weird. Perhaps it was made around WWI as a replacement or display piece.

I definately like the EK2 - I like that style with short 7. The pictures of the 25 spange aren't that good, but I think it's original as well. Not all of the pins were flat.

Here's an EK2 by the same maker...

Comment

Hey Brian,

I like the one you posted...... great item

Do you know what the going rate is for these now..... it seems the prices change daily

Greg,

What I like about the 1st class is that the core is broken.....shows how thin it is.... as far as shiney... I think the seller may have polished the back before he took the pics....

But then again.... I have NO idea as to what I'm talking about

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

I also liked the broken core and it looks like the date also has the "short 7". It may very well be a good piece but to me it just looks "off "- If that makes any sence. I do not have a 1870 EK1 " YET " so my experience is lacking on this one.

sincerely,
                        Greg

Comment

I have had the seller send me a better pic of the 25 year device....

What do you think ?
                          Attached Files

Comment

The EK2 (both Brians and the one mravery has posted) I like a lot...in fact I'm after one me-self!!

This is a known core style which is pictured in the Max Aurich collection...and I personally think, a Godet piece - (myself and a few others here have the 1st class versions which are Godet marked - see this thread.... 1870 EK's - A sobering thought)

Helmut Weitze has a cased one exactly the same for sale now at Euro 1700.

The EK1 is a little weird - The new looking paint and 'patina free' reverse are pretty disturbing......

But....

Even the hairline crack matches!

In my short Imperial life, I've only seen one other non-prinzen vaulted 1870, and it was this one......

which I found in an old thread, and which primarily got the thumbs down because of the jeweller conversion stick pin rather than much else....and it purportedy came with a Detlev Niemann C.O.A...

So if we don't like this probably private purchase EK1 mravery has posted, (and I'm presuming that not many will...) WHY don't we like it??

(TONY!!)

Marshall
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Biro; 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Very Interesting !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X