Two different styles of Bavarian Fireman's Long Service decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two different styles of Bavarian Fireman's Long Service decorations

I'm used to seeing the Bavarian Fireman's long service decoration as a medal hung from a ribbon such as this:

However, the website of a notable dealer (the one who photographs pickelhaube in the nude) shows it in this format:

Can anyone elaborate on what the difference (other than one being rectangular and the other not) between these two versions is? Are they intended for different types of dress? Is the bottom one some sort of commemorative?

--Chris

Long Service Medal

Chris;

The second specifies the length of service, obviously. (Does the other one do so on the reverse?) However, the last letters of the second one's inscription are "stzeit", the first "XXV", but the characters between are not certain to me and what they seem to be does not click into something that makes sense using either dictionaries from the current era or 1906, 1907, etc. (You would think its something like "XXV Jubeleizeit" or something like that, but it doesn't seem to work out like that.) Could you read exactly what they are? Or is it just my tired eyes?

Is there a good site for info and discourse re: Imperial era fire-fighting? Have discovered some very interesting fire-fighting / military linkages I would like to air. Any Imperial fire-fighting students out there? (There do seem to be several dozen fire-fighting museums in Germany.)

Bob Lembke

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Lembke
      Chris;

The second specifies the length of service, obviously. (Does the other one do so on the reverse?) However, the last letters of the second one's inscription are "stzeit", the first "XXV", but the characters between are not certain to me and what they seem to be does not click into something that makes sense using either dictionaries from the current era or 1906, 1907, etc. (You would think its something like "XXV Jubeleizeit" or something like that, but it doesn't seem to work out like that.) Could you read exactly what they are? Or is it just my tired eyes?

Is there a good site for info and discourse re: Imperial era fire-fighting? Have discovered some very interesting fire-fighting / military linkages I would like to air. Any Imperial fire-fighting students out there? (There do seem to be several dozen fire-fighting museums in Germany.)

Bob Lembke
      Bob,

the inscription is "XXVjährige Dienstzeit". Definately a long-service award. The other one is probably a Merit-Award?

Hope, this helps.

all the best,
      Gerd

Comment

Yes.

Both types say the same thing. They're the same thing, right? One's for a medal bar, and one's for a ribbon bar?
        Attached Files
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph A
          Both types say the same thing. They're the same thing, right? One's for a medal bar, and one's for a ribbon bar?
          I saw one of these in person at a militaria show this morning - way too big for a ribbon bar. It's set up to be worn as a brooch by itself.

--Chris

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Cough drop?

Just how early did you have to get up to go to that show this morning?

...and you just had to throw in a picture of that damn Prince Alphonse shooting award that's taunting me evilly with that ribbon?

Comment

Hi all:

I bought one of the 25 year long service bars from Detlev three or so weeks ago for far less than the one pictured above is being advertised. I love these brooch type bars. This particular one is cased which has the recipient's name on it (Georg Wendel), and the badge is marked QUELLHORST (stamped twice - apparently the first strike was not sufficient).

My questions on this badge are:

1. What year were these first awarded?
                2. Is there any way to trace the recipient?

Here are the pics Detlev had (I hope he does not mind - I'll post clearer pics of my own when I can)...
                Last edited by eschena; 09-13-2006, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 05:40 PM.

Comment

As promised, here are some better pics of my badge:

Comment

...and here's the back with a close up of the double stamped "QUELLHORST" mark. I have to say, this is one of my favorite German medal purchases in a long time...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X