Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military pass to a Verdun veteran

Hi all

Ive recently bought a pass to a WW1 Verdun veteran, George Bollwein and as I usually collect German WW2 paperwork ive no idea how to decifer this WW1 pass. A few questions.
    1, Did WW1 Military Pass's usually have a photo in like the WW2 Wehrpass did ?
    2. Does this pass show the soldiers decorations ?

What I'm really after is a brief rundown of his WW1 military history. It looks like he was in a Pioneer Unit and then moved on to an Artillery unit but im not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Darren in the UK.
    Attached Files

More...
    Attached Files

Comment

More ...
      Attached Files

Comment

More ......
        Attached Files

Comment

More.......
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi all

Ive recently bought a pass to a WW1 Verdun veteran, George Bollwein and as I usually collect German WW2 paperwork ive no idea how to decifer this WW1 pass. A few questions.
            1, Did WW1 Military Pass's usually have a photo in like the WW2 Wehrpass did ?
            2. Does this pass show the soldiers decorations ?

What I'm really after is a brief rundown of his WW1 military history. It looks like he was in a Pioneer Unit and then moved on to an Artillery unit but im not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
            Darren in the UK.
            Attached Files

Comment

Pictures, no. Awards yes. Can you make page 11 larger?
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi Don

Thanks for the reply. Here it is
                Attached Files

Comment

Our friend here got the following awards:

18.5. 15 Eis. Krz. 2. Kl. = 18th May 1915 Iron Cross 2nd Class

16.11.15 M. V. Krz. 3. Kl. m. Schw. = 16th November 1915 the 9Bavarian) Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with swords

Nice Militärpaß - I like it!

regards
                  Thorsten

Comment

Thanks guys for the information. Can you tell what units he was with ?

Darren

Comment

The Bavarian Minenwerfer Company 1.
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

Regarding the initial questions. No pictures as far as I know in WW1 passes. He wasn't in an artillery unit, just pioneers. He entered service in the Bavarian 4th Pionier-Bataillon on 7 August 1914 as an Ersatz-Reservist. He went to the Minenwerfer-Abteilung of the Bavarian Pionier-Regiment on 8 December 1914 and then to mittlere Minenwerfer-Abteilung 104 on 22 April 1915. On 15 December 1915, he was transferred to Bavarian Minenwerfer-Komp. 1, where he remained until being hospitalized in 1918.

He was promoted to Gefreiter on 14 December 1915 and Unteroffizier on 20 October 1916.

He was hospitalized on 7 March 1918 for psychiatric evaluation (Untersuchung auf seinen Geisteszustand). He remained in various hospitals until 4 September 1918. While hospitalized, he was transferred to a replacement unit, Minenwerfer-Ersatz-Bataillon 2. He was released from the Army on 29 November 1918. It is unclear exactly what he was hospitalized for, probably shell-shock, but it was apparently serious enough to end his war without ever being physically injured.

Regards

Comment

Great, thanks for the information Dan.

It makes sense as he has an Invalid book which i assume is some sort of state benefits payment book. I also has a WW2 Wehrpass and Wehrpaß Notiz for the fella but he didnt see action in WW2.

Looks like a good find this one. I only bought it as ive been to Verdun three times and its such a magical place.

Darren
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi all

Can someone give me some information on Bavarian Minenwerfer-Komp. 1

I presume they were artillery ? What type of guns used and would they have seen front line action ?

Thanks in advance
                            Darren

Comment

Darren

may be this is a start for you (type of guns):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.58_cm_Minenwerfer

These are Bavarian Minenwerfer:

http://www.milex.de/forum/anhaenge/f...tentopic_0.jpg

Gerdan

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X