Another quick question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another quick question...

Whenever looking at Waldeck awards, I see that there are seemingly two types of bravery award. Since I can't post pics (no idea why) i'll just describe them. One has the cypher of Waldeck on the front and fur verdienst on the back. The other also has fur verdienst on the reverse, but on the front there is the star which is the symbol of waldeck. Is one a higher class of the other or are they different awards? I have seen both with and without swords.

Thanks very much

You must be an Association Member to post photos. It is $25 a year and well worth it.

Kind regards
    Pierce

Comment

You can post pictures if you are not a Association Member, you can not attach pictures if you are not a Association Member.

Use the direct link to an image hosted anywhere on the internet. I use photobucket for my images, though the one above I just pulled from google.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigtiger View Post
        Whenever looking at Waldeck awards, I see that there are seemingly two types of bravery award. Is one a higher class of the other or are they different awards? I have seen both with and without swords.

Thanks very much
        Hi Konigtiger,

Basically these are Iron Cross equivalents for the Principality of Waldeck Pyrmont

The medal on the left is the Silver Medal for Merit in War (Silberne Verdienst-Medaille im Kriege) for enlisted men and NCO's,
        the cross on the right is the Princely Waldeck Merit Cross 4th Class with Swords (Fürstliches Waldeck Verdienstkreuz 4th Klasse mit Schwertern) for junior officers.

And as Pierce has already said $25 a year and well worth it.

Think about this for a moment...

How annoying is it when trying to do a bit of research using past threads to find the images missing....This is what happens when you use image hosts such as photobucket and others.
        Images disappear over time.

Best Alan
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Alan; 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigtiger View Post
          Whenever looking at Waldeck awards, I see that there are seemingly two types of bravery award. Since I can't post pics (no idea why) i'll just describe them. One has the cypher of Waldeck on the front and fur verdienst on the back. The other also has fur verdienst on the reverse, but on the front there is the star which is the symbol of waldeck. Is one a higher class of the other or are they different awards? I have seen both with and without swords.

Thanks very much
          Assuming you are taliking about two medals, rather than a medal and a cross, it sounds like you are describing the Golden Merit Medal, which has the star, and the Silver Merit Medal, which has the cipher.

Comment

Yes Dave Danner I was talking about those two. I got confused because no other german state that I know of uses a different obverse for their 1st and 2nd class basic bravery award. To the others, thanks for posting your images and I will look into getting a membership.

Regards

Comment

And here it is as a point of reference.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X