A cross for discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cross for discussion

Apologies to the seller, but me thinks this is an EK2 to EK1 "Frankenstein" conversion.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=632175

Your thoughts?

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

the maker mark looks serious, I've never seen
    such a "W" mark on an original item before.

Comment

a thought

A period jeweller would order replacement parts and disc's .
      Or would have it in store .

also ,,

explicit need fore a cross like backplate seems strange .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
        Apologies to the seller, but me thinks this is an EK2 to EK1 "Frankenstein" conversion.
        I agree, as Motorhead will or would probably.

sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I agree -- not the original hardware. But I also note that the seller has said as much:

Hardware seems to be professionally upgraded by a jeweler.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Is it just me or does the cross back plate lack an even shape it's not "square"
            Also Mike could you explain why it seems to be an EK2/EK1 Frankinstein??not sure of what to look at

Comment

The most common type of Frankensteins were FLAT screwbacks - genuine Imperial screwbacks are generally vaulted. Genuine cast iron core screwbacks (they are very slightly vaulted) are VERY uncommon.

THe Frankensteins constist of genuine EK2 cores (with the reverse ground off) and obverse frame. A new backplate is made up and fantasy (or attempted repro) hardware is attached, with or without (commonly fantasy) maker marks. Obverse/reverse patina and frame thicknesses rarely match as a result.

A side shot of the cross will be very useful.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

I have never heard about "Frankenstein" crosses yet, to be honest.

To support this interesting discussion, here some observations and thoughts from me:

The whole hardware is made of silver material and the plate is marked twice. According to the quality and elaborate craftsmanship I can hardly imagine, this one would appear to be a fake (are Frankenstein crosses fakes?), even because the patina machtes well.

Why and when where such conversions made?

The back plate is handmade, too. That is why the edges may differ slightly.

I know different cases where the former receipient did not want to get a new badge, because he was so proud about his awarded badge/the circumstances of the bestowal. That is why some soldiers preferred to pay for a repair than just ordering a new one.

My impression of this badge from the first moment was: interesting and unusual piece of work by a jeweler ("w" in circle -> jewelers mark). The back plate is both a very simple and senseful construction to fix the cross to the uniform with pressure resulting of the slightly bent silver plate. Nobody would just add this extravaganza without good reason, in my honest opinion.

But I can be wrong on this cross as well. If there are reasonable doubts, I will withdraw it from the estand, no problem.

Best regards,
                Stefan
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Stoppelhopser; 11-10-2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X