German army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German army?

Hello, i own this coat but i know nothong about, i've found unissued in a market in 1990

ehhmmm ? you got some pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

sorry...here the pictures![IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

It looks like a very nice early war, so-called "Ersatzmantel". These started to be produced during the shortages of 1915, when stocks of the earlier coats were exhausted.

The stamp you have shown on the inside of the coat is a unit mail stamp from a training unit in Germany. This might account for the coat having survived in such nice condition. The "S.B." stands for "Soldatenbrief". Though it is odd to see it in a coat, it is a handy way of marking it, if you don't have a unit ink stamp. It would be interesting to see the black ink mark that you can partially see in the picture.

Chip

Comment

here the stamps you were unable to see, i've found it in a market 20 years ago,it was folded with its original paper, it was never issued to soldiers. Thank you for the infos!

Comment

Just saw this
            Beautiful greatcoat

Eric

Comment

Well, this coat is not a M1908 from what I can see. It has no collar tabs (Kragenpatten), no shoulder loops for the M07 shoulder straps to go through, short barrel cuffs, no hip pocket flaps and the buttons and back belt details are different. Though many of the overcoat changes were made in early 1915, this example, at least, shows that the transition was underway already by the end of the year in 1914.

Chip
              Last edited by Chip M; 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Chip
                Has loops look again those buttons I've not seen before aren't that type usually hollow dished?

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Your eyes are younger than mine. I still can't see the loops.

On the M08 the buttons should be the plain dish type as you describe. I've seen them with crown tunic buttons too, but they may have been replacements.

These buttons look like a wartime version of the plain buttons. I think I see field gray paint on them.

So, how would you ID this piece?

Chip

Comment

Arrows point to shouldersrap loops on the shoulders

Comment

Thanks pzrwest. I know where they are supposed to be. They are just hard to see.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X