EK2 Maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Maker?

Can anyone tell me the maker of the EK2 on Edgar's father's medal bar? I can't reveal the ring the stitching is too tight. Also the iron center core moves slightly from side to side but doesn't rattle. Should I try and remove 60+ys of cigar,pipe, wood smoke, and tarnish from the cross? I havfe heard that Coin Dip is good for cleaning iron crosses? Opinions and help greatly appreciated..... Harold
    Pics:

Coin Dip (or any other Silver Dip) is never a good idea to use on a cross, it often ruins the paint. Will be very hard to remove the yellowish tint without also removing some of the black Silver oxide that looks so good. Also had crosses that sat in a 'Smoke room' for a long time and the goo that comes from smoke is never a good thing.

If you really want to clean it start with lukewarm water. If that do not help step it up to mild soap and finish with some non abrasive Silver polish.

Polish will surely remove the black but it all depends on how much you work on it. It also protects the Silver from oxidizing again so it will be a long time before it retakes the black look.

There's also ways of speeding the process of getting the black back if wanted.

Recognice the core but can not tell what maker it is.

Comment

cleaning? are you crazy - nice patina

Comment

I also agree not to clean if there is no grid.
        Patina gives character to the pieces.
        I even could cry everytime when I see
        somebody has cleaned some awards

Comment

Ok I will leave it alone. In natural light the grundge on the beading isn't so bad but the pic was taken with out flash with just incandecent lights on. I have been tempted to dissasemble the bar and turn the faded long service medal ribbon over so the beautiful blue color shows. BUT I have resisted the temptation. I am replaceing the long service cross on his second bar with the correct medal for the ribbon on the bar. The medals on the second bar just slip over hooks on the back of the bar. I will get a long service ribbon for the cross and attach it to the display.

Comment

Would never mess with ribbons on a bar, it will show. Good thing you resisted the temptation.

One thing is sure when it comes to EKs, no recipient would never walk around with a Black Oxidized cross. No silver item at all back then was allowed to get tarnished, they were constantly polished and it shows on some crosses. Worn beading is a sure sign of polishing. It always removes some of the Silver as Oxide is metal that has transformed.

If the yellow tinge is from smoke i would remove it, if it is from poor white balance leave it as is. Are you sure the frames are Silver? Neusilber and other Copper alloys sometimes get a yellow tinge and it also gets Black oxide.
            Last edited by Roglebk; 11-03-2012, 03:51 AM.

Comment

to me it looks like a Neusilber silver plated frame .

,,,Neusilber often oxidising in brown/ yellow collar.

the darker spots look like silver plating left overs ...

Attached Files

Comment

I think I will leave the cross alone and leave it as it is, if I cleaned the cross I would also have to clean the other medals on the bar as it would stand out from the others. Thank you for all the input. Still would be nice to know who made the cross

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X