Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 U Boat Badge Awards

Hi,
    First go at this. Would very much appreciate any of the collectors out there having a look at my badge. An Antiques dealer has confirmed its silver but there are no numbers indicating purity. The remains of the original clasp are slightly raised. The signature indicates a gap between the O and T.

I have done some extensive research in WW1 U Boat Operations and I have read somewhere a reference to the award of the badges. I'm pretty sure it said that all serving on UBoats were awarded a brass badge. This was then upgraded to a silver one after three trips. Has anyone else heard of this?
    Regards
    Ian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ww1uboat/

I'd say this is a white metal cast fake. Despite your antique dealer, I doubt it's silver. There were silver-gilt private purchase badges for officers. But, they were are of very fine quality and 800 marked.
    The pin is of very poor quality and not typical of this badge. The story you heard or read seems to be pure fantasy.

Comment

Thanks for your input. Will try and establish the reference re the three trips. The problem is I have read many books/accounts and articles.

Comment

There was no silver badge. You got the issued badge after completing 3 wartime patrols, or sooner if wounded during a patrol etc.... Only one grade existed. The one you show is a poor copy.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks for your time Don, appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X