An enigma in a mystery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An enigma in a mystery...

Just in today. A small group with an EKII marked K mounted backwards on a homemade Spange.
    Attached Files

oh there it is !

Like i said i got a spange with a ek mounted backwards to !
    maybe they did it after the war ? ashamed of the kaiser 's W ?

Comment

A photo of the Trager, maybe.
      Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the EK and shoulder strap. Strang ribbon and frame on the EK or phunky photo? On the strap, X8?
        Attached Files

Comment

On the back, and this is playing havoc with my self-image as a Sütterlin translator, the inscription. I got as far as Leiber Fritz, but pretty much gave up after Yerbe(?) Ok, "und danke", and maybe a couple other words, but that's it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Finally, the one seemingly normal thing in the group, a NCO buckle with applied roundel.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom,
              Here is another one for you. Home made spange with the cross mounted
              backwards
              Attached Files

Comment

I have seen crosses mounted backwards on medalbars and they were non- Prussians. Regards Chris

Comment

Hi buddy. Gee, where have I seen this group before...?
                  Nice buckle.

Reverse-mounted crosses are a fairly common occurence, almost always in non-Prussian lots or on non-Prussian medal bars, so it could very well have been a gesture of defiance against Prussia.

Comment

Another possibility that's occurred to me is the post-War factionalism. A Spartacist, for example, would want to wear his Cross but not show a symbol of the late unlamented (by him) regime.

Comment

Spartakists didn't wear imperial medals. They were symbols of a corrupt capitalist war & system.
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...verse+EK2+1914

Mis-mounting this way was also done during the war, mostly by non Prussians.
                      Last edited by McCulloh; 08-13-2004, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X