SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erkennungsmarke - Bayer. Jnf. Leib Regt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erkennungsmarke - Bayer. Jnf. Leib Regt.

Bought this WW1 dog-tag and pouch on Monday at a house clearance. I don't know too much about about the abbreviations used on WW1 dog-tags, the thing that electrified me was reading - bay. J. Leib R. I read the dog-tag as Bayerische Infantrie Lieb Regiment - 1 Kompanie, I did google the regiment - it came up Kgl. Bayerische Infantrie Leib Regiment my question - first is my interpretation right? they haven't used the Kgl. prefix in the dog-tag does anyone know why? on google - Kgl. came up in faint style type the rest - bay.Leib J.R. in bold type, what that signifies I'm not sure, does anyone know? I've never seen another bay. J. Leib R. dog-tag. Any help welcome.
    Regards
    Attached Files
    Last edited by soldon; 08-10-2012, 02:44 AM.

The marking is indeed for the königl. bayr. Inf. Leib Rgt. The "royal" was dropped at the end of the war when the monarchy was dissolved.

Actually, the unit that is crossed out is the Ersatz Bataillon of the ILR (training battalion). So, it was not necessarily the field unit he was assigned to. That is probably on the back side of the the disk.

Chip

Comment

This is him:
      Attached Files

Comment

More (I will translate some entries later)
        Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen,
          Thanks for the posts. Responding to the points raised, Chip - my reading of the dog-tag is that the crossed out stamps = 2 Ersatz Battalion Bay. Infantrie Leib Regt. 2.Komp. No.968 as you say a training unit of Infantrie Leib Regt. After training, he stayed with the Inf. Leib Regt. being assigned to the 1st Kompany given the roll number 614. Hence the regiments administration only had to cross out the first part of the regiment stamp and add 1.K. 614. The dog-tag back side is plain, no stampings. The regiment along side the monarchy was also dissolved soon after WW1 there can't have been any post WW1 dog-tags.

Naxos it is indeed a file of Gustov Zorn from Kempten, you don't say what its from ? At first I thought it was taken from a WW1 Militärpass, then I realized the printed layout is not the same, at least to any of the militärpasses that I have. From what I can read from the pictures and I can't read everything, 1st Picture has Zorn with 20th Inf. Regt. fighting the Battle of Wytschaete on New Year Eve 1914. 2nd /3rd pictures have him in Romania fighting 26/29 September 1916 the battle of Hermannstadt involved in the fighting was the newly formed Alpenkorp of which the Bay.Inf. Leib Regt. was a large component part. I think, at this point in time Zorn must by then have been with the Bay. Inf. Leib Regt. Regards
          Last edited by soldon; 08-14-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Soldon,

You are correct about the change from the Ersatz Bataillon to the active regiment. I did not notice that only part of the Ersatz unit mark was crossed out. Good call.

It's no surprise that a man from Kempten would end up in a mountain trained unit like the Bavarian Leib Regiment. I'm guessing that a lot of boys from Allgäu ended up in alpine units.

Regards,
            Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X